Force specific users through moderation

Ok I have confirmed that the notify about flags after does not notify about posts needing moderation.

Does anyone know how I can get an alert that a post needs moderation? This plug in is great but without that you need to constantly monitor the site looking for posts needing moderation.

@LeoDavidson can you help with any of this? I need to get a notification email that something needs to be moderated.

Don’t think I can. The plugin just makes a slight change to the criteria Discourse uses to decide whether or not a post needs moderation. The plugin isn’t involved in anything which happens after that.

Even without the plugin, you would presumably see the same behavior with posts that Discourse decides need moderation for other reasons (e.g. due to the anti-spam measures).

Yea it doesn’t seem to work the same way as FLAGS. When someone flags a post we get an email sent to the moderators if the flag isn’t dealt with.

So when a moderation post is required its not sending the email or alerting moderators like a flag does.

@neil I thought we had reminders for pending moderation posts? I know I have gotten them before on discourse.codinghorror.com

Here’s what we send reminders for:

Pending Users Reminder: if must approve users and pending_users_reminder_delay > 0 and there are new users who need to be approved older than the delay, then send a message to moderators.

Pending Queued Post Reminder: if notify about queued posts after > 0, contact_email is set, and there are posts that need to be approved (they aren’t publicly visible yet), then email the contact email.

So I’m guessing that this plugin doesn’t use the must approve users or approve post count settings. It will need to implement its own reminder.

2 Likes

The plugin only augments DiscourseForceModeration with an extra check, in addition to the ones Discourse does by default.

I’m assuming anything the plugin causes to go through moderation will be affected by the notify about queued posts after setting, if that setting applies to other posts which DiscourseForceModeration flags for moderation, but haven’t verified that myself.

https://github.com/LeoDavidson/discourse-forcemoderation/blob/master/plugin.rb

2 Likes

Any update here? This force moderation is a great idea for a few rogue users we just need a way to be alerted.

-Joe

@neil can you help here? It seems theres a bug here… the developer says its working right and Discourse isn’t picking up the flag.

I left a couple of messages pending moderation after the plugin flagged them, and after about 24 hours Discourse emailed me to say there were messages pending moderation.

So it does seem to work, and may be a configuration issue with your forum. e.g. Who is set to be emailed and after how much time.

3 Likes

Yea I am not getting any alerts of flags for moderation posts. IT works (albeit longer than the 1 hour time limit) for normally flagged posts but the moderation flags do not alert at all.

v0.2 of the Force Moderation plugin is now in GitHub. The update fixes the plugin for Discourse v1.9.0.beta7 and above.

If you update Discourse, be sure to update the plugin at the same time, and vice versa.

(Nothing bad should happen if one is updated & not the other, except that the plugin won’t have any effect and people you want to be moderated will be able to post normally.)

5 Likes

Our admin install this plugin, but for some reason only admins can access the feature and not moderators. Is there something in the setup to allow moderators to use the feature?

I don’t know if there is a way to expose site/plugin settings to non-admins.

The plugin could be extended to add a button to user profile screens to toggle forced moderation on and off for the displayed user. That would make it possible for moderators to use it.

Realistically, I don’t know if I will have time to add that to the plugin myself in the near future, but I’d take a pull request if someone else wants to.

2 Likes

Would it be difficult to implement a function where posts rejected have a reason text field that’s PM’d to the user?

Great plug in by the way @LeoDavidson :sunny:

That would probably be best as a separate plugin, since it would be useful as a general part of the moderation queue functionality in Discourse.

This plugin just puts messages into the moderation queue (if the username matches) and doesn’t change how anything after that works.

Can this plugin be applied to a Group?

Does this plugin even work under the new reviewables design in Discourse 2.3 @eviltrout? I think it is unlikely…

It still works, at least on my v2.4.0.beta1 forum. (It did break when v2.3 was released, but I fixed it.)

It only checks usernames at the moment but I might be able to add that if I can find some spare time. How much do you need it?

2 Likes

Has it been updated to use the review queue? Or does it have a different mechanism for review? I can help upgrade it if not.

3 Likes