Have search take me to my read position, or the first post in the topic?

Still doesn’t really make sense; the purpose of search is to arrive at the exact location of the specific thing you searched for. If I search for “finely tuned albacore”, I expect to end up on the post containing those precise words (or as close as possible), not at the first post in the topic. Claiming otherwise is … frankly, insane?

I totally understand your desire to specify a topic-only (or even title-only) search, but that has already been possible for quite some time, we added in:title and in:first over a year ago, as I recall.

↑ ↑ that’s why the context is relevant. Not every topic has spoilers. You have inflicted topics with land mines upon yourself, and since you’re well behind others in viewing the media (not a judgment, I’ve done the same thing) you have to tightly control your read position to avoid spoilers. Of course 99.9% of that is solved by using the existing search clauses to lock your search to the first post – because you aren’t searching for posts, you’re searching for a topic.

Technically you didn’t need to search for these topics at all. Since you are returning to them over and over, you could have trivially bookmarked these topics rather than searching for them repeatedly, but as you correctly noted, bookmarks don’t offer any ability to jump to your current read position. So at worst it’d be a two step process: visit the bookmark, then use the back button on the vertical timeline to jump to your current read position.

I agree that giving you the ability to jump to your current read position from a topic bookmark, and possibly from some search results, is a nice power user function.

3 Likes