Help us build the new 2.0 Dashboard

Folks, this is great! Made my life easier :relieved:

But there is something I don’t understand:

Why the first one is showing a decrease and the second an increase? The time period is the same.

PS: the correct one is in Posts chart, the number decreased comparing to previous month

6 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Add “All” timeframe to dashboard

Cleaning up topic:

Once this builds we are cutting a new beta

9 Likes

I’m still seeing the super-wide tables in the dashboard in Firefox:

I also note that all of the “monthly” graphs only have one date on them at present (May 1), and it’s rotated by about 15 degrees – so it’s not clear which data point it’s referring to:

I’d recommend maybe rotating it to be completely vertical, so it lines up with its data point more clearly. :wink:

Another suggestion I’d make would be to move the account stuff to the bottom. For me at least this isn’t something I’m interested in most of the time – I know already how often we get invoiced and how to get in touch etc. When I go to the dashboard, what I’m looking for is, well, the dashboard – so it should, in my opinion, be the first thing you see.

Suggestions and bug reports notwithstanding, this new dashboard is a huge improvement over the old one. This is great work by the whole Discourse team! :smiley:

1 Like

Firefox 60 on Windows 10 (1803)

2 Likes

Hmm, that’s very odd. I’ve created a PR to correct the issue in any case:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/5836

5 Likes

Firefox sure is odd, merged that in thanks :heart:

Also this little bit of crazy is needed: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/560a16d864ebaab68deb7dcbd834a647f2e0d7de

3 Likes

No problem. :slight_smile:

Out of idle curiosity, any reason why the new dashboard was built with flexbox, rather than CSS grid? I suspect grid might have been a little easier to work with for such a griddy layout…

2 Likes

Flexbox works much better in IE11 than grid does (IE11 only partially supports an old grid spec).

8 Likes

How about adding the weekday to all dates, e. g. here:

I can much more understand the meaning of a value, if the date says

Fr, 2018-05-11

instead of just

2018-05-11

In my opinion this should apply to all places where a date is being shown, e. g. here, too:

7 Likes

That’s a really nice idea.

I modified a lot of date strings to customize not showing YYYY of something else. It would be nice to have it in the dashboard by default.

1 Like

Looking good guys!

When you drill down to a specific graph, you lose the metric. Below is the DAU/MAU graph drilled down from the dashboard - and now we don’t know the number as was displayed on the dashboard graph:

Can we get the metric for the graph displayed right next to the graph name? Essentially replicating the tooltip and metric value as on the dashboard

Sorry I don’t understand, the tooltip is displayed on the title, and what do you mean by “value” ?

On the dashboard - the graphs look like this with the tooltip and the value of the metric:

When you drill down to the graph itself so that you can customise the timetable, you get the following without the tooltip (not that big of a deal) and without the value of the metric (bigger deal) and it’s corresponding hover explanation:

Does that make sense? It would be extremely helpful to have the same info on the customisable report graph as the dashboard graph

you have the tooltip, look under DAU/MAU : “No. of members…”

Concerning the value, I don’t think we will add it on that screen, but we are probably going to add previous period trend line in the chart in 2.1.

This doesn’t really help if you have to go export the data and then do a sum function to get the result. It’s a lot of wasted effort when it could be added on that screen since the function is already created for the dashboard summary graphs.

No it’s not that simple because this page can show arbitrary ranges, when dashboard page functions are done for yesterday/seven days/thirty days ranges. Also this is not the new dashboard page, so it’s kind of off-topic for now, but not saying we don’t want to improve the single report page and we could maybe add your suggestion.

Does DAU/MAU have some sort of target number, showing that DAU/MAU health is good? E.g. should it be above 50% or some such, like net promoter score? If so, it might be nice to add this info to the helper text. Also, DAU/MAU is new to me (and probably to many others) so some sort of link to more details about it might be helpful.

Also, should maybe “DAU/MAU” be renamed “Stickiness”? I did a google search, and came across this explanation in a tech crunch article about facebook apps:

Real retention numbers for other people’s products are notoriously hard to come by, but in Facebook there is good 30 day retention data called the DAU/MAU Ratio – which can also be called Stickiness. This is the ratio of Daily Active Users to Monthly Active Users. For example, a DAU/MAU ratio of 50% would mean that the average user of your app is using it 15 out of 30 days that month.

Well, the help text for DAU/MAU says:

No. of members that logged in in the last day divided by no of members that logged in in the last month – returns a % which indicates community ‘stickiness’. Aim for >30%.

6 Likes

hmm… must have been added since yesterday?

39%20AM

1 Like