Help us test the rewritten Composer

I miss the reference links methods.

I have many “wiki post” with longs urls. The reference method is very clean.

1 Like

Ditto. I use to think in-line was better (because that’s how everyone else does it) but the footnote style makes for much more pleasant editing of existing posts.

1 Like

I too prefer the inline links, but I’m far from a Normal Person.

The inline links are easy to type, if the URLs are of a reasonable length, but the arguments that inline links with long URLs make lots of sense. So, maybe having the editor’s magic command do the much harder (in my opinion) job of putting the links at the end of the document. I’m guessing that a large proportion of those who prefer inline links don’t use the editor command to create links anyway.

2 Likes

@JSey,

I’ve updated my plugins again to support the DISCOURSE_NO_CONSTANTS=1 value, which is going to be an upcoming change at some point. You may want to look at my initializer to see how I changed it. Again, it seems to work with both the old composer and new, so if backward compatibility is important to you, mine seem to fill that void.

1 Like

Uploading multiple files (multi-select via upload dialog or drag & drop multiple files) doesn’t appear to work any longer. If you do it via the dialog it’ll say “6 files”, but when you hit upload it only processes the first file in the queue.

(tested on Mac 10.11, Chrome 46 and Safari)

1 Like

Seems zogstrip just fixed it.

2 Likes

I’ll just add that I really miss the previous reference link method as well. My posts look so messy now. :frowning:

Also I’m rather confused by the change of shortcut from Ctrl+L to Ctrl+K. This one will take a while to get used to… I keep pasting the links I want to link to into the browser’s address bar. :-S

3 Likes

Personally I also much prefer the footnote style, I can see us adding an option for it

8 Likes

Actually this was the reason for the change. Crtl+L is typically the browser’s shortcut to type in a new URL, so Discourse had been hijacking that “system” shortcut. Crtl+K is used by many other web editors as the insert link shortcut (Google docs, MS Word, etc.).

2 Likes

Yeah, I could guess that, but I personally have used this shortcut a lot for both actions, but I’ve never found it conflicting. Probably because it would be extremely rare that you want to focus the address bar while composing a message.

I did not know Ctrl+K was such a common replacement in other places. I think those other places you mentioned have much more reason to use an alternative shortcut, since the focus is always on the document rather than just when you’re composing a message. But well, I agree it’s good to follow their pattern here, I will get used to it eventually.

With Firefox, when we use a button on the composer, we can’t edit the text right away, we have to click on the composer.

If I use the bold button, I have the **strong text** but I can’t type anything. I always have to manually select strong text to change the text. It’s not automatically selected.

Everything works well on Chrome, but not Firefox (42.0). At least for me

2 Likes

Can we repro that in Firefox @eviltrout?

Thanks for reporting this! I’ve got a fix ready:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/83be335c54e0a101cf7435f6bec47b9fe5879189

5 Likes

Thanks !

2 Likes

Small UX issue here when hiding the preview.

1 Like

Fixed here:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/5f995323e170e6082425b11644a32ed9ff82a848

3 Likes

It’s gonna be hard to describe for me, I’ll do my best :sweat_smile:

When we type a long text and we want to use a button (like bold) in the first lines, the cursor goes at the end of the text, it doesn’t stay in the selected part.

It seems to bug only on Chrome.

I’ll write in french, so at least one person will understand me, @zogstrip :grinning: : quand on utilise la mise en forme sur un long texte, au lieu de rester autour de la partie sélectionnée, le curseur va se placer tout en bas. Il faut donc scroller pour revenir où on était, ce qui peut être gênant sur de très longs messages. Visiblement ça bug que sur Chrome.

4 Likes

Hmm, I can repro that too. You should have a look @eviltrout.

Are there plans to add a new shortcut key for image upload? I’m noticing it’s absence, and I don’t think ctrl+shift+g has much competition in the browser.

1 Like

This conflicts on a Mac unfortunately. Cmd+Shift+G finds previous in Chrome.

2 Likes