Highlight search term when navigating from result

When reading an extremely long post (several pages of scrolling on a portrait 4K monitor) and looking for an not infrequently repeated term I find myself resorting to using browser Find in page to highlight the instances of the term.

It would be useful if the search term was highlighted in the page when the user navigates to a post via the search results view.

Personally I find that type of behavior to be very distracting.

1 Like

It already works this way in the search results, not really convinced this needs to happen on click through of the search results into the topic.

Personally I find that type of behavior to be very distracting.

@seanblue If it were an opt-in behavior then you wouldn’t be affected.

It already works this way in the search results, not really convinced this needs to happen on click through of the search results into the topic.

@codinghorror
Yes I am aware that this happens in the results and am asking for it to be extended to other views based on user opt-in. This issue motivated me enough to find out the forum software that the board I was reading is using, then sign up to this board, and then read past discussions on the Find in Topic and the hijacking of the browser’s Cmd/Ctrl+F, and then post this topic asking for this feature in a way that was compatible with the technical reasons given to past complainants.

Just press ctrl+f twice if you wish to force the browser behavior.

3 Likes

Thanks for the swift reply, I can live with that.

It’d be great if this was in the Keyboard shortcuts modal or documented somewhere in the FAQ. I mentioned my initial frustration on a Slack group associated with the board I was reading and no-one suggested this.

If I were to make a PR to add this to the user docs where do you think it should live? Keyboard shortcuts or FAQ?

Yeah not a bad idea to put it on the keyboard help, I guess.

1 Like