How can members delete their own posts?

My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere (I have searched!)

Currently, members can edit but not delete their own posts.

Is there settings option I need to enable for them to be able to delete their own posts?

Under post edit time limit on the admin/site_settings/category/posting page.I see “The author can edit or delete their post for (n) minutes after posting. Set to 0 for forever.

“min trust to edit post” is set to 0

Is there some place else I’d need to edit settings for folks to be able to delete their posts - not topics, just posts? Or is the only option to delete a post using the edit function?

Many thanks in advance!

You are incorrect. They can delete their own post. They cannot delete their own topic.

I have a feeling you are confusing the two.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply, @cpradio!

Should members see a ‘delete’ option, or is deleting done via editing post?

In other words, is there some place else I’d need to edit settings for folks to be able to delete their posts - not topics, just posts? Or is the only option to delete a post using the edit function?

Many thanks in advance!

It is typically hidden behind the “…” on the post (I’ve expanded it on mine above)

2 Likes

Thanks for the speedy reply! :grinning:

OK I think what has been confusing me is it doesn’t look like a member can delete their first post - only edit it. I do see that members have the little trash can hidden behind the “…” on subsequent posts in a topic, just not on their first post if it was the first post in the topic.

Thank you so much for the help!

As I recall we since made it so people can delete topics, with a small delay, if they have no replies.

What will be the delay time

This topic is pretty old but user post deletion rules depend on the settings the admins have dictated for the specific forum.

2 Likes

Hi @Ashwani_Kumar If you are the admin, then these are the settings you want:

2 Likes

“first post” == topic