How long do you plan on using a Docker image based on Ubuntu Xenial?

Hello Discourse team,

I’m considering using Discourse with a Trisquel 8 Docker image, which should work because Trisquel 8 is based on Ubuntu Xenial. The reason I want to do this is so I can use a fully-free distribution instead of one that includes non-free bits here and there. There is no Trisquel 9 release based on Ubuntu Artful yet, so I was wondering how long you plan on sticking with Ubuntu Xenial? If you continue to use it for a year or two, I might be able to use Trisquel as a base image.

Thanks, : )
Andrew

1 Like

We have no specific plans to move off Xenial at the current time, but we consider the choice of distro inside the container to be an internal implementation detail, not a public interface, so we may well change the container distro at any time.

Incidentally, I think the inclusion of the restricted repo in our container image’s sources.list is unnecessary, and can probably be dropped. If we only use the DFSG-free main and universe repos, doesn’t that produce the same end result as using a different underlying distro?

10 Likes

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your reply. I started a conversation about the repo types here a while back:

Using main and universe alone would be a great improvement. Chances are that you won’t need anything outside of main.

The place I work at cares very much about using fully free distributions, so Ubuntu “man” alone might not be sufficient for our purposes, but I’ll talk to my team about it.

Thanks, :slight_smile:
Andrew

2 Likes

We moved to Debian, and AFAIK don’t enable extra repos, so this should have improved your use case.

4 Likes

It does! Thank you so much for switching over to Debian main! : )

2 Likes