How should we implement polls?

How about localized discourse instances? Is that a translatable string and how do plugins in general get translated? What if in some language it’s not correct grammar to start the title with the word for poll?

3 Likes

Presumably config setting for now. So if you want it to be “Schnitzel:” rather than “Poll:”.

It is a very clean design, since Polls should be identified in the topic list, and you could use this same pattern for other interesting but rare relative to the rest of discussion topic types (For Sale, etc).

3 Likes

The way it’s implemented currently, the string “Poll:” is stored in a locale file, and there’s only English.

This is going to make translation even harder - the translators need to keep track of the main 2 files, then 2 more files for each plugin.

I’m actually not sure that using locales to decide the prefix now because allowing users to switch locales complicates things in addition to the translation difficulty. I wonder if a site setting would be better?

6 Likes

Delighted this has been included!

Our first poll is live:

http://www.community.hibbslupustrust.org/t/poll-complementary-therapies/131

5 Likes

Are there any instructions for the use of polls other than this?

Can you make multiple selections etc?

Make your topic title start with "Poll: " and include a list in your post. The first list will be used. If you don’t want it to be the first list, do this:

Intro Text

• Some list
  • Some list con’t

Here are your choices:

[poll]
  • Option 1
  • Option 2
[/> [poll]]
1 Like

Nope, right now that is it. The polls are intentionally simple at the moment.

One thing we could do @radq, if you use a numbered list, the poll is “select one”, if you use a bulleted list, the poll is “select any”. That seems pretty logical to me.

One thing we must do is document it in README.md for the poll plugin, as it stands there is not official documentation. @radq?

2 Likes

Indeed. Seems the poll plugin is now included but zero usage documentation is out there. Bump for some docs!

Edit: Derp. Seems it was already spelled out above.

I can implement this but to be honest it seems pretty arbitrary – I don’t really see the connection between a numbered list and “select one” or a bullet list and “select any”.

I’d left in the [poll]...[/poll] BBCode thinking it would be useful to specify options like this, eg. [poll select=3], [poll select=any]. It feels cleaner and is more flexible since we can also allow specifying additional options in the future if the need arises?

Sure, I can add some documentation to the README, will probably create a PR for that tonight.

@eviltrout did say in the pull request that he would post followups here regarding the feature being so hidden.

4 Likes

Really?

• apples
  • bananas
  • oranges

versus

1. apples
  2. bananas
  3. oranges

I’m fine with leaving [poll] for super-advanced stuff, but a simple “number means you pick one” is quite clear to me. At least no less clear than the rest of Markdown… that’s how I would like it to work.

3 Likes

I’m not sold on it. Plus I fear you could break existing polls by implementing it that way (since the documentation is fairly empty). It would be wiser to ensure it is only capable using the bbcode or special syntax.

2 Likes

I actually like the way Vbulletin has its poll designed with color bars, it is easy to differentiate = )

• you can allow multiple votes when you create a poll via a permission.

Live URL of a Poll http://forum.nihonomaru.com/nihonomaru-newbies.8/thread/which-skin-do-you-like-most.33042/

1 Like

For me, there’s no intuitive connection between the numbered/bulleted list and whether the poll is multichoice. Nothing about the ordered list provides a cue to me that I can only select one.

Am I wrong on the general use of these lists in thinking that unordered is a set of items, whereas an ordered list is a series/sequence? It feels like that is a separate thing to the type of choice in the poll and I can imagine situations where you would want to use either choice type with either list type.

Which steps did you find difficult?

1. Create New Digital Ocean Droplet
  2. Access Your Droplet
  3. Install Git

Who is your favourite actor?

• Bruce Willis
  • Jennifer Lawrence
  • Johnny Depp
2 Likes

No – a numbered list lets you tell me which specific item you wanted in the list, e.g.

“Gimme number 3”
“I had trouble with step 2”

e.g. select one, because it’s now possible to be precise and tell me which specific item you wanted – just indicate the number. There’s a bit of metadata on each item that makes it unique.

Whereas a bulleted list has no way of uniquely identifying any specific item on the list.

Anyway this is all irrelevant opinion, you like blue, I like pink. We’ll still have the [poll] syntax if you want to be literal, but if you can understand Markdown, this is reasonably intuitive.

2 Likes

I disagree - I think that multichoice should not be automatically chosen no matter which syntax I use inside the poll block.

A higher priority for me would be to allow markdown inside a poll option… http://try.discourse.org/t/poll-are-polls-with-links-in-the-options-still-broken/300?u=riking

1 Like

You love painting bikesheds! Yay! You’re in good company.

I agree that markup inside a poll is a much more important choice – I’m guessing half the posters here would dispute existing Markdown syntax anyway as “not understandable”.

(also I’m not sure you should have a link there; you can click the entire row to select the option, so now there are two things fighting to be clicked)

Oh, but we use links in our polls a LOT. For MOTM (Member of the Month) we’ll have their username linked to their profile so you can review the user before necessarily voting for that person.

Granted, we can just as easily put additional links below… Just wanted to provide a use case

1 Like

I can easily see the desire to have a poll mid-conversation.

Will there be a way to start an inline poll, or is the workflow that we need to start a new thread for a poll which is related to the current topic?

Uhh. ugly. I agree, as we are doing markdown, our html is safe after. Here is the pull-request fixing this: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/2055 .

4 Likes