How the media in the posts look like when secure uploads are enabled?

Our forum instance generates thousands of media files daily and the numbers are growing. We are thinking about introducing certain limitations to encourage users to sign up and to reduce the server load too. We’re wondering how the media in the posts look like when secure uploads are enabled?

Can anyone please share some front-end examples of how your Discourse experience is for your logged-out users?

1 Like

This is the relevant bit.

Any public topics which can be viewed anonymously won’t change.

Assets within personal messages and posts that are held in secure categories can’t be hotlinked as the ACLs in S3 will prevent it.

1 Like

Hi Stephen,

Sorry, but this doesn’t answer my question on HOW this looks like at Discourse instance which has Secure Uploads enabled. I would like to see how it looks like before we engage it for the forum with millions of pageviews… Not mentioning the amount of preparation we need to make to enroll these changes as smoothly as possible.

So, if anyone has a link to a Discourse instance where the Secure Uploads is enabled, that would help a lot. Screenshots would do fine too :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s no visible change in terms of what users see. The security is applied at S3, providing the assets are requested from the correct origins it’s a seamless change.

3 Likes

Ah, now I get it. I always thought this function will make all the uploads not accessible for non logged-in users no matter if category is public. Now I understand it better. Thank you.

1 Like

That was the purpose of me quoting the three bullets. They’re the conditions where anonymous access to assets would change.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.