How to configure ipv4 / ipv6 settings

Hi!
My site suddenly “disappeared” after my web host updated and restarted my server.
After some poking around, I did a ‘netstat’ and only ‘tcp6’ entries were listed for the ports that discourse were supposed to serve (and probably is serving).
This is a problem for a few reasons.

1. I can’t display ipv6 sites at home
  2. My DNS records didn’t list my domain with an AAAA record.

I can solve 2) easilly, but 1) will have to be solved some time later, when my ISP blesses me with a proper connection.

How do I set up Discourse to host on either both ipv4 and ipv6, or ipv4 only?

1 Like

Try a rebuild ./launcher rebuild app and see if it works again?

2 Likes

Hmm…

root@host:/var/discourse# ./launcher rebuild app
Ensuring discourse docker is up to date
Fetching origin
Discourse Docker is up-to-date
Stopping old container
+ /usr/bin/docker stop -t 10 app
app
cd /pups && git pull && /pups/bin/pups --stdin
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/SamSaffron/pups.git/': Could not resolve host: github.com
0d20b665c7a9ed2b3df8c3f62138577659792168e07e95e4b5cb7a33d453ff84
FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP

This is weird… because I tried this three times, and it failed like this every time… however, if I just try to clone that given repo… it doesn’t have problems with that. It’ doesn’t help me though.

I don’t know how the launcher application works, so how do I debug this issue?
It’s obvious that github.com is actually resolvable from my machine, and that was my only lead.

The launcher application is starting a Docker container and then running the commands in the templates from inside. Do you have some special DNS setup on your VPS that isn’t getting auto-configured?

1 Like

I found a solution in this thread here.

I looked up my DNS servers in resolv.conf, and put that in the configuration file for docker.
I don’t know why docker doesn’t use the same dns as the rest of the system by default?
What am I not understanding here?

Hmm… the rebuild worked, and the site went back up.
I don’t know why netstat only displays ‘tcp6’ ports… because I don’t think that’s what I’m browsing right now. I’m confused.