How to Connect Discourse with Hundreds of Apps Using Integromat

No, that’s very clear and, once again, very helpful! :clap:

1 Like

Hey everyone & @Integromat

I’m researching an efficient way of automatically re-posting new posts from specific topic to Twitter from Discourse. Do you think it’s possible? Just signed up to your service and can’t get my head around it yet.

Our goal is to stop using tweetdeck and introduce our editorial members to Discourse locked category to post new stuff there, which would be reposted to Twitter as new Tweets. We also would like published tweets to be as “clean” as possible and to be able to include media like static & GIF/WebM media to these posts.

Any help would be much appreciated

Hey @kinetiksoft, thanks for the question! Great to hear that you’re exploring the possibilities of Integromat, by the way :slightly_smiling_face:

Soooo we’ve checked and it seems that what you’re looking to do can partially be solved with Integromat. You’d be able to pass the text of the post from Discourse to Twitter without any problems. However, any additional content (e.g. images) does not seem to be retrievable from the Discourse API.

You can check out the Discourse API documentation to see what’s available on ‘post’ level :arrow_right: here.

Btw - just being curious here and wondering whether the tool you are currently using is able to retrieve the images from Discourse and pass them to Twitter? That would be super surprising given what we see in the current API documentation.

Anyway, feel free to let us know if anything’s unclear :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Strange. I know that Fibery, for example, can bring in Discourse images just fine, and I’m fairly sure it works entirely via the API…

Hey again @oshyan.

So we looked into this and managed to build a scenario that works yet tends to be quite fragile and cumbersome.

You see, you get the text of the Discourse post which contains the URLs leading to the attachments and you need to retrieve the right URL. :arrow_down:

The other thing is that you don’t really know what kind of files you’ll be getting from Discourse. They will probably mostly be images but it does not have to always be the case.

We created a scenario that is capable of processing images coming from Discourse and sending them over to Twitter. It looks like this and it is definitely an advanced one.

If you’re familiar with Integromat and are feeling confident, we could DM you the blueprint of the scenario and you could tweak it based on what your attachments/posts will be. Just let us know if you’d be interested in that :slightly_smiling_face:

To learn how to import/export blueprints, you can check out the relevant section of this help doc.

1 Like

@Integromat
“Share new Discourse posts as messages in a Facebook Group”
What about - Share new Discourse posts as messages on a Twitter?
Thanks.

Hi there @valsha, thanks for the question! :slightly_smiling_face:

Integromat sure has a pre-made Twitter integration whose current features you can check out here.

Speaking about the use case you are proposing, there are some things that need to be considered here.

• There is an issue with the length of the text. If there is a lengthy post on Discourse, you will not be able to push it all to Twitter due to their 280 characters limitation. So the question is what you’d want to do in this situation - just post the 280 characters? Not post at all?

• Another issue is related to Discourse posts containing images. The thing is - images are generally not easy to retrieve and if you do get to retrieve them, their size might not be suitable for Twitter. As a result of that, they could look a ‘off’ when posted on Twitter.

The bottom line here is that this sure is doable but it is not exactly trivial. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Would anyone know how to use an integration between Discourse and Google sheets to grant and revoke moderator powers? Every year we have to change over hundreds of mods for our regional forums, and right now we do it one by one. It would be great if we could just use the google sheet that we have for the names of our mods and then it grants mod powers on Discourse or revokes powers.

Can we do that also with Miro ?

Actually, that was only true for 2022. You should contact your moderator with a shockingly similar name to mine as she actually has this semi-scripted already. :wink:

1 Like

Good morning everyone,

I am in need of some help to create a scenario using this plugin:

What I want to do:

I want to make a post every day with:

1. The newly added posts from WordPress that day. – this should be added as a list in one post.
  2. The newly updated posts from WordPress that day. this should be added as a list in one post.

Would someone be able to guide me on how to set up the right scenario, please?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Really? Could you get it up and running before July Camp?

Yeah. I’ll contact you over there when I’m done with what I’m dealing with at the moment. The main script I use doesn’t need much changes actually. It’s only semi-Manual because the list I get to feed it is missing the two pieces of info needed to fully automate it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For everyone who is seeking help with a specific scenario with Make.com, I contacted their support using their Discourse forum, and my issue was reported by some helpful members there.

Thanks, everyone!

This is the final result of the scenario:

Have an awesome day!

5 Likes