How to encrypt the email addresses for compliance with privacy and PII laws?

We are a financial organization and are required to comply with privacy laws of various countries that asks us to encrypt all “Personally Identifiable Information”. Email address falls into that category so we want to have Discourse setup in a way that users’ email addresses are stored in encrypted form and offer at least some protection against hackers, SQL injection attacks and/or rogue employees.

Is this feature available? If no, what’s the best way to implement this?

1 Like

Oooh, that’s going to be a tough one.

Currently, when an admin or moderator views the email of an account, it is logged, except if an admin takes a backup and reads the email from there. So there’s a layer of protection against rogue employees, but it’s not foolproof.

SQL injection - Discourse has never had a SQL injection vulnerability, and I don’t think it ever will. There was one in Rails that got patched, but Discourse was never going to trigger it. What you need to be worried about is someone getting XSS on an admin and using that to extract sensitive data.

It sounds to me like you need encryption-at-rest of the emails, plus disabling the ability to Show Email or search users by email.

This also shares aspects with needs from medical organizations of anonymity of user accounts.

2 Likes

Just encrypt the server filesystem is my recommendation, then all data “at rest” is encrypted. Nothing else is really practical.

4 Likes

What are the things that would break if I implement encryption / decryption by simply overriding the getter and setter methods in the model? SQL queries on the email column will break for one. But what else?

1 Like

You’ll have to maintain a fork… this is a bad idea. Don’t play games here, just use the built in OS level filesystem encryption and be done with it.

6 Likes