joo is seeking help to restrict anonymous users from posting in specific categories in their Discourse forum. They have created an anonymous user group and set category permissions, but are experiencing permission conflicts due to anonymous users having the same trust level as regular users.
Heliosurge initially suggests checking the category settings for email posts, but joo clarifies that the issue is not related to email posting.
Heliosurge provides a solution by creating a group for non-anonymous users and adjusting category settings to restrict anonymous users from posting in certain categories. Heliosurge also suggests adding a configurable message to categories where anonymous posting is not allowed.
joo implements the solution and follows up with questions about automatically adding users to the non-anonymous group upon their first login and changing the default username format for anonymous users. Heliosurge responds with possible solutions, including using email domains or custom user fields, and suggests exploring plugins for further customization.
joo ultimately resolves the issue and thanks Heliosurge for their helpful suggestions.
I’m encountering some issues with my Discourse forum and would appreciate your help.
My Requirements:
Anonymous User Group: I have created an anonymous user group, and all anonymous users are automatically added to this group.
Category Permission Settings: I want anonymous users to be able to post only in specific categories, while in other categories, they should only be able to view content and not create posts.
What I’ve Tried:
Creating an Anonymous User Group:
I created an anonymous user group and added the email domain for anonymous users to the automatic domain list, ensuring that anonymous users are automatically added to this group.
Configuring Category Permissions:
In categories where anonymous users are allowed to post, I set the permissions for the anonymous user group to “Create/Reply/See”.
In categories where anonymous users are prohibited from posting, I set the permissions for the anonymous user group to “See”.
Issues Encountered:
Permission Conflict: The trust level of anonymous users is the same as that of regular users (e.g., both have trust level 1). In this case, anonymous users are still able to post in categories where anonymous posting is prohibited.
Help Needed:
Confirmation of Configuration Steps: Are there better ways to configure category permissions to ensure that anonymous users can only post in specific categories?
Additional Suggestions: Are there any other methods or best practices to achieve my requirements?
Thank you very much for your help and suggestions!
My issue is not about posting via email, but about how to restrict anonymous users from posting in specific categories. I have referred to this post, but I am still facing some challenges. Below are the details of my situation and the issues I am encountering:
My Goals
Restrict Anonymous Users from Posting: I want anonymous users to be able to post only in specific categories, and in other categories, they should only be able to view the content, not post.
Prevent Permission Conflicts: Even though the trust level of anonymous users is the same as that of regular users (e.g., both are at trust level 0), I want to ensure that anonymous users cannot post in restricted categories.
Issues Encountered
Permission Conflicts: Even though I have set permissions to restrict the anonymous user group from posting in certain categories, the problem arises because anonymous users have the same trust level as regular users (e.g., both are at trust level 0). Due to this overlap, anonymous users can still post in categories where only trust level 0 users are allowed to post. This creates a conflict where anonymous users bypass the restriction because they share the same trust level as regular users.
Okay so The Anonymous user group are also full users.
In that case you need to create a Group for your non anonymous users.
Trust Levels are shared among all members where as custom groups are a list of members only
Category Setting
Security
+Anonymous Grp See
(del)Everyone See/create/reply
+NonAnon Grp See/create/reply
Also delete setting if you used a “trust_level_#” group. If the member is part of any group that can create/reply they will have ability to do so even if part of group(s) that do not have the per.issions
I have implemented your suggested solution, and it has helped me achieve my goal. However, I have a couple of follow-up questions:
Is there a way to automatically add users to the non-anonymous group upon their first login? This would help streamline the process and ensure all new users are properly categorized.
Is it possible to change the default username format for anonymous users? Currently, it defaults to “anonymous” followed by a number, and I would like to customize this format.