Idea: available hours / work hours flair

This is inspired by the holiday calendar plugin feature which adds :desert_island: flair and a :spiral_calendar: decoration to @usernames.

I work in a global community, and with a mix of volunteers who are primarily available evenings and folks who are participating as part of their work day. Itā€™d be nice to be more aware of everyoneā€™s availability.

So the idea: the ability to give ā€œwork hoursā€ in oneā€™s profile settings, and then have corresponding :zzz: flair displayed when outside of that time.

8 Likes

A little off topic, but we have a couple of things which might be helpful for the ā€˜globalā€™ portion of your request. If you enable the display local time in user card site setting, then everyone will get their local time displayed on their user card. For example, on our internal instance, my user card looks like this:

Screenshot 2021-11-16 at 13.13.54

We also use this theme component to help visualize timezone overlaps:

Admittedly, neither of these let people define their own ā€˜working hoursā€™, so they donā€™t solve the day/evening part of your suggestion.

7 Likes

So, weā€™re getting close to this with the new Custom Status feature. It just needs a scheduling feature. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This feels like you are sort of asking for this existing feature :slight_smile:

The plan by @andrei is long term to float the ā€œZā€ so other users except for self can see it.

3 Likes

Yeah, letting others see that theyā€™re notifying you but youā€™re not likely to be around is helpful. (Iā€™m not clear on how this works with email notifications[1] ā€” do they then all get sent when the pause ends?)

Although, for a volunteer community ā€œI want notificationsā€ and ā€œthese are my actually available hoursā€ are separate concepts. Maybe okay enough to leave them linked, though. Iā€™ll have to think about articulating this more clearly. :slight_smile:

Iā€™d actually also love a way to do longer-term one-off scheduling of things like ā€œOn vacation this (future) weekā€, not just regularly-scheduled hours. Like the vacation calendar that inspired this in the first place, but linked to the status feature ā€“ maybe in a way that avoids a lot of all this. But thatā€™s a separate idea from this. :slight_smile:

1. as I donā€™t use those myself, but itā€™s important to a lot of my users ā†©ļøŽ

2 Likes