Import data from e.g Amazon like ISBN etc (A extended onebox solution for Amazon)

Looks like ISBN-13 is the new standard as of 2007, so prob safe to default to that, and only do ISBN-10 if the ISBN-13 doesn’t exist. (Also I believe for ebooks Amazon uses their proprietary ASIN thing which is also 10 chars / same as ISBN if it exists…haha it can get confusing!)

Maybe instead of “Book length: ” it could be "[Format], [length] e.g. “Hardcover, 324p”.

Star rating could probably be in w/ the other in-line data points.

Curious to see various examples w/ different book formats as I think there will be a good amount of variation w/ things like image size, title / author name / publisher name length, etc. Often probably all that data won’t fit on one line. If too much data, publisher & pub date could probably be eliminated.

Overall this looks great!

2 Likes

Price has been emphasized before my changes so not sure if it should also be de-emphasized? I just reused the old Amazon template so it affects all.

Mobile:

I agree that it would be better if rating was moved to the bottom in-line data, but it is somehow hard to read already (especially mobile), maybe using some kind of visual separator would make sense (|or something like it)?

This is what I’ve been meaning to ask actually, looks like using ISBN-13 is a way to go.

All the text comes from Amazon, so it’s not that flexible. That way we don’t have to bother translating it and it works with each localised Amazon store.

3 Likes

Also, localization wise this is not going to work :frowning: , maybe just get rid of all words, then there is nothing to translate.

ISBN: 12345 Elseivier: 4 May 2017, 952p $52.22

1 Like

There is no localization needed, because also the text comes from the product information table on Amazon so it’s in whatever language the store is. But since it’s nicely concise without any text, I’ll just remove it.
Most of the books I checked have the same amount and order of data available across all Amazon locales (on mobile version which is used for scraping). For those that don’t follow the pattern, onebox won’t include that data.

4 Likes

Yes I was going to recommend this same thing… placing

ISBN: 0323353177 – Publisher: Elsevier – Publication Date: 4 May 2017 – Book Length: 952 – $52.19

is inferior to

0323353177 – Elsevier, 4 May 2017, 952 pages – $52.19

We don’t need so many explicit key:value pairs here… just having the actual values is clear enough.

7 Likes

I was highly annoyed at a university that insisted that my business card include the word “email” before pfaffman@someuniversity.edu. If the person looking at it didn’t know that it was an email address, it wasn’t going to do them any good anyway.

9 Likes

Is the changes added to the code? If I would like to test it…

I dont know how to find “pull request”…

Someone from the team has to review and approve the changes I added in order for them to be available.

4 Likes

Cool, seems to been added, that was fast!!

SOLVED

Thanks to @maja for adding this feature!! :heart:

3 Likes