Improving Blocked User State

moderation

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #27

@neil, got another bug for you (sorry!). I just deleted a blocked user, and the Admin dashboard still counts that user in the blocked count (unless something else is going on here). Screenshots of the issue are below:

Edit: Also of note, if I unblock my test user, the count still remains at 2, so maybe there is something more to this issue…

Edit 2: And now it is at 0…I guess there was just a delay, please disregard this post…

(Neil Lalonde) #28

The dashboard data is calculated once every 30 minutes, so you won’t see real-time counts. All that data is expensive to calculate. :grin:

At the bottom of the dashboard you’ll see something like this: “Dashboard last updated: April 4, 2016 10:24 AM”

(Danny C) #29

I have a question about the blocked user state. If a user is blocked, will they still receive communications via email from discourse (updates from forum, messages from discourse). If no, how can I update their communication settings as an admin?

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #30

Yes, they will still be emailed. The only email related feature that is disabled is mailing mode.

Here is the full blocked user description:

Account flagged by spam system as a problem account, all posting is disabled.

• Account may not reply to any topic
  • Account may not create any topics
  • Account still can like and flag (TBD if this is a good idea)
  • Account can still change user prefs and about me (TBD if this is a good idea)
  • Mailing list mode stops working

Note that this is in contrast to suspended users for whom all email (with one exception) is blocked.

Suspended user description (emphasis mine):

Account suspended from Discourse instance

• A note is displayed on user page denoting suspension reason
  • Login is not allowed
  • Account no longer shows up in search
  • No emails are sent to user for any notifications (digest, message and so on)
  • As an exception any emails initiated by staff are still sent to user

(TechnoBear) #31

Is this a recent change? We’re still on Discourse 1.7.0.beta4, and I can confirm that suspended accounts do show up in search (for non-mod user).

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #32

I have no idea. I was just quoting from:

(TechnoBear) #33

In that case, @sam, if this is how it’s meant to behave, we appear to have a wee problem…

(Jeff Atwood) #34

No, that was never in Discourse to my knowledge. @sam kinda made that part up, “user doesn’t appear in search.” It could work either way, I don’t have any feelings about it at all.

(cpradio) #35

I plan to be in the “search” area over the next few weeks, I might look at ensuring Suspended users only appear in Search for staff. But depending on the complexity it may add, I might not pursue it.

(TechnoBear) #36

It makes sense to me that suspended users shouldn’t appear in search, but it’s no big deal. I just think that Reality and FAQs should match. :bear:

(Sam Saffron) #37

Code says this has always been the case, unless you are staff.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #38

Sam, here’s my non-staff sock account searching and locating a suspended user:

(Sam Saffron) #39

Ahh yeah, I think what I meant to say is that you can’t @mention a suspended user unless you are staff.

I got a bit confused between user search which is used for @mentions and global search which uses a different code path.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #40

In that case, I’d like to request that blocked and/or suspended users be hidden from “global search” for non-staff users.

(Sam Saffron) #41

@codinghorror’s call then :slight_smile: I am not really fussed either way.

(Jeff Atwood) #42

I am not sure I agree with this request. Should /users directory also suppress them? And why? What purpose does that serve, what problem does that solve?

(Mittineague) #43

I’m not sure that it is a problem. The reasons I can think of are

• a type of “punishment” against the problem user. eg. their profile, posts, etc. can’t be easily found
  • a type of “protection” for the problem user, eg. removing evidence of their bad behavior from public view

(Andrew Waugh) #44

In my opinion, if a user has done something which warrants a suspension, then that should be visible to the normal users.

If I decide to suspend an account then there is already some tension in the air. If someone then asks “What happened to Bill?” in public and I answer “I suspended him” then it is a bit like a public shaming. If the information about the suspension is there to see for those who check Bill’s profile, but it isn’t blared out in public.

(Jeff Atwood) #45

I’m closing this, because the primary request is now complete anyways:

(Jeff Atwood) closed #46