Include the forum's URL in quotes

Hi!

Discourse is widely used on the Internet.

I sometimes cross-post quotes from one to another, using the quote button instead of copy-pasting directly from the topic to keep the username and keep some content well-displayed.

Example, this post: 20" Mini Hatchet - Unicycles and Equipment - Unicyclist.com

If I copy-paste directly from the topic, starting from the ever beginning of the message until " is already riding around on one", like this:

Pasting the content into another Discourse forum renders the content like this:

Ok, how the hell did I miss this? Have we discussed it already somewhere?

As far as I can tell this is the the old 20" Nimbus Purple monster unicycle but now with a cute :heart_eyes:, downsized Hatchet-style frame. That does however mean it has cotterless cranks rather than ISIS and no brakes nor a straightforward way to add them (though brakes on a 20", even with a fat tyre like this, is perhaps an overkill anyway :person_shrugging:t3:).

Despite being relatively low spec, that Hatchet style (in mini form) still looks great and since it is pretty cheap, I am sort of tempted anyway. I had already looked at the 20" monster before as a fun little thing.

I see that it is not avilable until October on UDC UK

unicycle.co.uk

What can you do with a monstrous 20 x 4 inch tyre? Well, you can ride over just about anything like: deep snow, trails, sandy beaches and gravel tracks! The possibilities are endless. Not recommended for extreme trials.

Price: GBP 220

But the US website already has it. Indeed one of the guys I follow on Strava (Paolo Unitoonist ) is already riding around on one

If I use the quote button and copy-paste the generate quote, it looks like this:

It’s better, though clicking the username doesn’t do anything. The onebox’s content isn’t badly pasted, and we have the username at the top of the quote/

I suggest adding the forum’s URL in the quote syntax, so clicking the username would lead to the message on the original external topic.

Current generated quote syntax:

[quote="ruari, post:1, topic:278023"]

Proposed syntax:
[quote="ruari, post:1, topic:278023, url:https://unicyclist.com"]

This data would be enough to append the topic and posts’ ID to the URL. Clicking the username (or something else next to it) would then link to https://unicyclist.com/t/278023/1.

Overall, it would make quotes from one Discourse to another more seamless and integrated, without adding something like “source: 20" Mini Hatchet - Unicycles and Equipment - Unicyclist.com” additionally.

What do you think about that? All opinions welcome :smiley_cat:

5 Likes