Install Discourse as a subdirectory with existing Nginx

Hello, I’m new to Discourse and would really like to have it on my server. I also have a nginx configuration that allows to connect to a wordpress website. I do not want to have a subdomain, I just want to have this URL: snapecraft.ddns.net/forum
Because my server doesn’t support PostgreSQL I decided to host the Database on an external free webserver.
How would I do the nginx configuration and the configuration of the DB? Are there some guides?
Thank you so much in advance.

0 Likes

(Stephen) #2

The first question to answer is whether you can run docker on that server. Do you have ssh access as root?

A subfolder install is fine with another instance of nginx but you will still need to install docker with nginx and postgres within the container.

3 Likes

(Jay Pfaffman) #3

You almost certainly don’t want to do that.

You should search here for the subfolder instructions. The standard install will have postgres in the container.

3 Likes

Thanks for your answers. Yes, I do have root and ssh access.

It’s not that it doesn’t support postgresql its more that we don’t want another database because we already have mysql. Does postgresql need much performance?

0 Likes

(Jay Pfaffman) #5

Postgres 9.6 is required. If you follow the unfussy instructions it will be installed inside the docker container with discourse, redis, and nginx.

1 Like

How would my nginx config look like? (The existing one)

0 Likes

(Jay Pfaffman) #7

You would search for the #howto document and follow these instructions: Subfolder support with Docker

4 Likes

So I would install it with the standard instructions and then modify the configs?

0 Likes

(Kara L.) #9

We are using discourse as a subdirectory. It works but had taken a lot of trial and error by our hosting expert.

I do not know the details. I know that he added reverse proxies and proxy passes to our nginx but that’s all I can say. We followed to documentation that pfaffman linked but even then, depending on your stack there’s a lot of customization to do.

I would not recommend unless you have resources to invest into it.

See: https://www.robotshop.com/community/forum/

1 Like

(system) closed #10

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes