Is anyone using Discourse in higher ed for courses?

My biggest struggle is that I can’t order the topics in a category. There’s something really satisfying about going through a course in order and then checking each element of the course off visually. I’m wondering if it is possible to do that. I’m also thinking a theme component that can show that you liked a topic on the topic list page because that may be the easiest way to use existing features to have that at-a-glance satisfaction of having finished a top. Or, could a sidebar be added? Would love ideas.

Here’s a screenshot of Thinkific’s UX.

Image Description

Two-column UX
Top left

• Fundraising Accelerator
  • 93% Complete
    Bottom left
  • Search by lesson title search box
  • Getting Started title, green checkmark on the left, 4/4 indicator on the right, expand arrow
  • Module One: Jeffersonian Dinners title, green checkmark on the left, 7/7 indicator or the right, hide arrow
    Nested below Module One: Jeffersonian Dinners title and in smaller font
  • Introduction title
  • What is a Jeffersonian Dinners? title, highlighted to indicate that’s the topic we are on
  • Why Jeffersonian Dinners?
  • How to arrange a Jeffersonian Dinner

Right column

• What is a Jeffersonian Dinner? Contains video lesson showing a portrait of Thomas Jefferson

There’s a discussion here about how to keep topics in order but it just seems like a less than ideal workaround.

3 Likes