Using Discourse as Learning Platform

Hi there,

I plan to unify these two places Kajabi (as a video platform for my courses) and Notion (as a wiki/knowledge base).

Discourse as Kajabi replacement.
My courses follow quite a rigid scheme:
6 modules x 6 lessons x 10 mins = 6 hours total.

So there’s no need for features like keeping the video progress, etc.

I plan to have a separate category for each course and then each lesson as a separate thread.

Videos will be stored externally, on bunny.net

My Challenge:

• To enable students to comment on each lesson (in terms of discussing, supporting each other in the tasks, sharing experiences - this is not a regular watch-and-forget course) I would make it a regular thread, but this way anyone who watches the particular lesson in that thread will see it as “unread” every time someone posts a comment.
  • Is there a way to overcome that?
  • I was thinking of something like having one read-only category for lessons and second one for commenting on them.

But I then I thought I’ll ask you guys here, as you may have way better solutions already figured out.

Any feedback is appreciated!

3 Likes

@natedhaliwal I understand you moved the topic because of the title, but this isn’t about the migration as much as about the proper setup of the community.

I don’t believe I can get much support from other members who are focused on migrating communities per se.

5 Likes

Do you offer the course multiple times with groups of students, so you need a fresh topic each semester (for lack of a better word). If that’s the case, you could use a theme component (or user training) to encourage people to use the reply-as-linked topic when commenting on the lesson in a particular category each semester. People could then watch the semester.

Another would be to make a fresh category each semester that linked to the content and people could reply to the pointer to the content.

Another would be to use tags for each lesson, then people could watch the tag, regardless of what category it was in, so your theme component would have a reply-as-linked-topic button that also pre-populated the tag field. I think this might be the best solution. I don’t know how to make such a button offhand. I think it would take me an hour or two and would take some people here 15-60 minutes.

2 Likes

Which indicator, that there are unread posts, is the one you want to overcome?
The slightly different text color in the topic list, the number of new replies next to a topic, or the topics appearing in /unread?
I think the second and third only happen when the notification status of the topic is “tracking” or “watching”. You could prevent the status from being changed when your users open the topic by changing the default other auto track topics after msecs site setting to never. If you don’t want the status to change after they reply, you can also adjust the default other notification level when replying setting.

1 Like

In perfect world I would see a Course category like this:

• Module 1
    | - Lesson 1
    | - Lesson 2
    | - Lesson 3
    | - Lesson 4
    | - Lesson 5
  • Module 3
    | - Lesson 1 (user opened all the threads up to here)
    | - Lesson 2
    | - Lesson 3

| - Lesson 4
    | - Lesson 5

- Module 3
    | - Lesson 1
    | - Lesson 2
    | - Lesson 3
    | - …

Forum Topics marked in bold are unread, the ones that are regular are read.

@pfaffman My courses are not cohort-based, nor I need to differentiate the classes. All material is all the same for all members at all times.

Now the issue is that in the scenario like this, if someone adds a new comment to Lesson 3 in Module 1, this Topic will again be marked as unread. This is what I want to avoid.

So what I’d like to achieve here is something somewhat similar to the Docs plugin - where you can read the post (in my case: watch the video) and only then it gives you the link to View the discussion on this topic.

That’s exactly what I’d like to achieve, given each Topic will be marked as unread unless clicked on.

EDIT: Fixed the terms used, as per @pfaffman suggestion.

So you want everything muted until they’ve looked at ti.

Oh. Cool. Is there a reason not to use the docs plugin?

In discourse they are topics, not threads. Now that we have threads in chats, it’s more important not to call topics threads since now it can actually be confusing.

1 Like

As I’m brand new to Discourse - would you please explain on that?

I want these topics to appear as “Unread” or “New” unless clicked on.

Does Docs plugin work that way?

Those are new until a topic is opened. And a topic has unread posts until last post is red. And when some post a new post (comment) in a topic it changed back to unread but only the newest post is new, not topic itself.

But.

• Moodle is superior (and difficult) LMS, but lousy to keep a blog or discussion forum
  • WordPress is wonderful CMS that has working but limited LMS and really bad commenting system plus lousy discussion forum
  • Discourse is great discussion platform, but weak for blogs, articles and hosting podcast, and bad as a LMS

There is no point to use Excel for word processing even it can be done.

I mean if LMS this time means serie of videos and some texts it can be done. Selling those courses, if that is needed, is somewhat ackward. But it can be done Enough categories and sub-categories and course topics are closed. Students can’t then mark a lesson done, unless they learn muting.

But I would use WordPress for LMS and connect Discourse handle discussion. If you need you would get fullblood e-commerce too.

But whatever you do remember KISS [1] — most of features are something you think are important, but actually aren’t for students.

Sure, that was just guessing because anyone here doesn’t know your needs, or real structure of your courses. And for that I mean you have an issue and you think you have a solution, that doesn’t fit cleanly and that’s why you are struggling now. You trying to squeeze your endproduct into technical solution, but you should think this totally differently.

First you have to think what you need and find technical solutions that fullfills those needs. And after that you check wich one gives what you want too. If you get full packet, wonderful. If not then you will consider cutting off some wants, or taking another route and coupling different services together, i.e. WordPress and Discourse.

Pricetag is practically same.

1. KISS is an acronym that stands for “Keep it Simple, Stupid.” It’s a design principle that emphasizes simplicity and ease of use over complexity and unnecessary features. In the context of learning management systems (LMS) and online platforms, KISS means prioritizing the essential features and functions that meet the needs of students, rather than trying to include every bells and whistle imaginable. This principle suggests that most features are not as important as they seem, and that simplicity and ease of use are more valuable than a long list of features. By keeping things simple, you can create a more effective and user-friendly platform that meets the needs of your students. (Explanation by AI) ↩︎

3 Likes

That’s how discourse works.

Have you tried any of these things?

You suggested that it did.

1 Like

Still need work… but let’s look at an idea.

Course Main Category

• Security Settings:
    • Everyone(or student Group) See
    • Professor Group - See/Create/reply

Topic Module 2 Name
  1. Intro
  2. Lesson 1
  3. Lesson 2
  4. Lesson 3

Each Module is a viewable topic. Each post could have a link to a Subcategory that has security settings. Student/everyone to see/reply (if wanting to keep things per lesson/module). Or See/Create/Reply
Professor of course would be unrestricted.

In the Discussion Subcategory of each Course can also use tags for sorting.

Then only your discussion categories get bumped with New or unread. Unless you add to a course category content.

From here you have a variety of things you can optionally use. Plugins like Private Replies and private topics maybe if interest. There is also another plugin called Restricted replies. And the solved plugin might also have value.

1 Like

As @MarcP suggested, the new Doc Categories plugin would perfectly address my main challenge here.

Already talking with @RGJ @michaeld about whether this new plugin will be available in Communiteq anytime soon.

I love the way it’s implemented here in Documentation - Discourse Meta :saluting_face:

2 Likes

Yes it’s very flexible, this “documentation” plugin can serve many goals. You can link to anything (internal/external) and be as creative as u need it to be.

I love how they approached these with “index” topics. This gives us a lot flexibility and the choice to show or hide the index topic.

2 Likes

If you have a budget, and would like some more sophisticated LMS features, @angus got someway towards building a plugin in that vein a while back.

3 Likes

Thanks @nathank.

@angus care to share at which stage you are with that plugin?

2 Likes

Hey @ludwikc, yes it works. This is a demonstration I made of what it looks like. The site in the video is no longer up, but I can spin it up again if need be.

It does a fair bit already, however I’d need a real use case and a partner to work with to “finish” it.

6 Likes

May I reach out to you via PM to talk about details?

1 Like

Sure thing

4 Likes

Awesome sauce.

2 Likes