Is it possible to restrict admins from a category?

(Qam Hoxha) #1

I was able to create a private category. I was able to assign a group to that category. But, it’s also allowing all admins to view the category. Is there a way to only allow the users from a particular group to access the category, excluding the admin group? Only admins who are in that particular group may view the category.

Is this possible?

(Lisa Wess) #2

You can’t exclude admins, no. They are all seeing, afaik. :slight_smile:

(Kane York) #3

Yep, any viewing restriction you could place on admins would be artificial as they could just download a backup and peek in there. You have to trust somebody.

(Qam Hoxha) #4

Here’s the scenario that I’m trying to address.

I have a forum consisting of a small community where everyone knows each other. In this forum, there’s a group made specifically for women where they can share their thoughts without any men viewing the content. There’s a female admin who is managing that section. However, we don’t want the male admins to be able to see the category. I understand that admins can pull the backup and view the topics in that category, but we don’t plan to. Is this possible?

(Lisa Wess) #5

Only if you make the uh… people who should not view that content non-admins.

Are there particular functions your admins are doing that require that level of access? It may be worth revisiting who can do what if you have this as a content-security issue.

(Jens Maier) #6

You could write a tiny plugin that monkey-patches the User class and overwrites the secure_category_ids method…

However, in the interest of fairness, everyone on your forum should be aware that all admins can at any time view all content; the only thing such a change can do is to reduce temptation to give in to curiosity.