Issues when using slow mode on a topic forever

If the slow mode prevents editing setting is enabled, and a user wants to edit their post after the 5 minute editing period, the behaviour is somewhat frustrating. As an example, I missed the 5 minute editing period by a minute or so on this post: How to prevent community content from being used to train LLMs like ChatGPT? - #65 by simon. I wanted to edit the post to add a :warning: symbol to a procedure that I outlined. I’d also like to move a couple of sentences to a new paragraph for clarity. It seems that I have to wait for one hour after anyone has posted in the topic to make that change.

For this particular case, the change is trivial, so I’ll let it slide. I’d suggest only enabling the slow mode disables editing setting if users are abusing edits in slow mode posts though. The setting essentially makes it impossible to edit posts in topics where slow mode is enabled.

Edit: tried editing again and realized that the slow mode prevents editing setting completely prevents editing outside of the 5 minute edit grace period.

6 Likes