Just launched my second Discourse forum (and made some customisations this time!)

This is my first time with the customisation system and I quite liked it! It’s a nice touch having an editor that is smart when it comes to things like tabs/spacing, closing brackets and even a nifty find feature :slight_smile:

There are two things I missed from other software though.

The first one isn’t that big of an issue - the facility to create an overall style that has all related customisations under it so that it can be backed up, ported to other installs via one file etc. We can make do without it, but it would be one of those nice to have things.

What would be really nice is having a simple way to edit templates. For example I might want to show some user info in the posts, such as user location, post count, or some other field from their profile. I vaguely remember seeing that it’s possible to make such edits via plug-ins, but it seems like an easier templating solution could be advantageous - especially in encouraging designers to make more elaborate designs and layouts.

Apart from that I continue to be impressed by Discourse, and we’ve had some nice comments about the forum already :slightly_smiling:

If you’re curious, the forum is about Elixir and you can find it here:

9 Likes

Just coming back to add some more praise!

I think Discourse is my favourite forum platform now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Currently making a small accompanying app (a competition for the forum) and have used the Discourse-as-SSO-provider feature. Love it!!! This is not fair because now I am thinking of adding lots of little side apps to the forum!! (Not enough time in the day!)

Also love the API, which just works!! Again, this has given me loads of ideas as well.

Well done the Discourse team :heart_eyes: I think all of your hard work is really beginning to pay off now. I’m really looking forward to seeing how DC continues to evolve.

4 Likes

Guess we can close this now? :wink:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/my-latest-forum-but-its-not-running-discourse-heres-why/18533

4 Likes

Haha, yeah, Discourse has come along massively since then :smile:

You can do this using the Customize - Text. :wink:

1 Like

Does that rewrite urls too?

Nope, but localized routes are usually a bad idea.

We use Discourse in pt-br but the main page is latest and not últimos.

Although, nothing stop you from forking the plugin and grepping trough

1 Like

Haha I’ve done that before now - on a vbulletin install I changed showthread.php to page.php and forumdisplay.php to section.php - we used it to power articles etc, as well as the forum.

It can be a pain when it comes to upgrading tho, and I much prefer for things like this to be built into the product - because it is what I consider an ‘important’ feature and would benefit many people.