Legal Tools Plugin

it is not a problem of this great plugin but does someone know how can get this data. I do have the data explorer but I do not know the structure of all database tables and in which tables I would have to look for the data and which ones I would have to join in order to get this data.

See the earlier post, I think:

no these site settings were already enabled and that is the data I do already have.
But that does not include the administrative records , as Angus has written above:

And now I am looking how I could extract these administrative records.

Hmm, I thought that was the meaning of extended - itā€™s everything practically exportable.

Yes, thatā€™s right. Unfortunately, thereā€™s not a straightforward answer to this question. This is why those records are not included, as explained above. Note, in particular

That said, to gather additional records containing ther userā€™s user id, you can use this approach.

1. Install the data explorer plugin

2. Create a new query (perhaps call it ā€œAdditional User Records (GDPR)ā€)

3. Do a search for ā€œuser_idā€ in the schema explorer on the right to see which database tables include a user_id in them. Youā€™ll see that a number of them are already included (see list in OP + ā€œuser activityā€ as mentioned in my second post).

4. Determine the user_id of the user in question (you can find it at /u/username.json)

5. For each additional table you want to include, construct a query that extracts the rows where the user_id matches the relevant id. e.g.

select * from [table_name] where user_id = [user_id]

I suggest you review each of these ā€œadditionalā€ tables on their own merits, rather than just attempting to download every single record that contains the userā€™s id.

The records may contain other information, relevant to other users with counterveiling interests, or may be senstive in some other way. Unfortunately thereā€™s no single answer to the question of ā€œscopeā€ here. Youā€™ll need to make that call based on how you read your specific mixture of responsibiities. The GDPR is not the only relevant responsibility here. You shouldnā€™t just hand over every single record that contains a userā€™s id.

Iā€™m actually a little unclear whatā€™s driving the interest in these additional records? Is this something the user has asked for, i.e. beyond whatā€™s already included? If they havenā€™t whatā€™s motivating this? A different interpretation of your responsibilities under the GDPR than what Iā€™ve laid out above? If so Iā€™d be curious to learn more and the legal reasoning behind it (I may want to consider assimilating the reasoning into this plugin).

2 Likes

yes but of course we are not williing to give him all these information. Especially if the records do have also data from other users. We just want to be prepared to have these additional information if really needed. We will most probably not provide these information to this user but we might have to give information to the authorities because we expect that the user will address it to the authorities.
Our new data protection officer also told us that we should at least not yet provide the administrative records.

1 Like

I see.

If your data protection officer decides that additional records are needed, and has some tables in mind, I would be happy to provide a more specific sql query to help you out. For the reasons I mentioned, I donā€™t want to nominate specific additional tables to be provided as a general piece of advice outside of the context of a case.

But if you need something specific as this case progresses, Iā€™d be happy to help you out pro bono, as that is in the spirit of this plugin, i.e. to make it easier for Discourse communities to navigate the GDPR. If that happens, and you have specific tables in mind, and youā€™re in need of assistance with the SQL query, PM me here on meta.

In short, Iā€™m happy to provide some ad-hoc technical (non-legal) assistance to Discourse communities in response to specific cases under the GDPR, but Iā€™m conscious of not setting general standards beyond the scope of what is reasonable for the majority of cases. If there is a legal argument of that sort that the scope of the plugin should be expanded, Iā€™m open to it.

4 Likes

well our data protection officer told me that there is at least currently no need to extract additional administrative data. Thanks a lot for your help and if needed I would get back to you.

3 Likes

This plugin is great!

Handling GDPR subject access requests is a pain, a total time drain, and this helps cover all of that with much more confidence. Thank you.

Are there any plans to add more features? Particularly Iā€™m struggling with data retention and minimisation principals. Specifically Iā€™m interested in minimising ā€˜administrative recordsā€™ - whispers and posts in team areas which could contain notes on IP addresses and other personally identifying data that needs sifting and searching by hand. Five years on thereā€™s too much to audit, and little value in the old messages so I want / need to permanently delete them. Iā€™d actually like to have just a 6 month retention policy on such messages and whispers.

So I can select and delete stuff using rake, but itā€™s just marked deleted and still all there in the database :frowning:

Iā€™ve therefore been thinking about an ā€˜obliteratorā€™ plug-in that would either change the raw and cooked text of deleted posts to something like ā€˜this message has been obliteratedā€™, or (preferably) unpick and remove the posts entirely. Having never written ruby or a plug-in, Iā€™m not at an ideal starting position, though could potentially just write some SQL to run against the db directly, then use rake to rebuild the search indexes afterwards.

@angus - I did wonder if in your legal considerations you had any thoughts on the data retention aspects of GDPR, and how you handle it?

1 Like

Interesting!

Yes, Iā€™m open to adding a feature for that. Iā€™ll have to consider it in some more depth after doing a bit more research.

Could you please a detailed feature request (select ā€œLegal Toolsā€ at the plugin step) laying out all the relevant details of your use case and any other research youā€™ve collected, Iā€™ll then follow up and engage after doing a bit of background.

https://thepavilion.io/w/feature-request

2 Likes

is this plugin still being maintained?

Cant seem to switch the setting to enable the plugin :pray:

Hey Nick, Iā€™ll try take a look at this next week.

1 Like

Really appreciate it! :pray: