Limit number of images uploaded by user per day, wil TL multipliers

None abusive. Just lots of image uploads, mostly temporary ones, often for fun. They don’t bring any value to the form while eating space. People who know the storage deficiency even report this problem to me on themselves.

Our users keep adding 20+ similar photos in one go – I think this might be an issue. The way you can select many images for uploading at once just makes it too easy to spoil a topic. No one else wanted a restriction per user per day per trust level?

It hasn’t come up with our customers yet, no. Intervention with the users / site policy has not helped? Surely they understand that storage space is not free…

2 Likes

Seems there are two kind of people here: some just don’t care; others are beginner users and don’t even know how to selectively pick multiple images rather than selecting all of them with a mouse.

Even though I got more space now, it seems really useless to spoil it with endless images.

I confess I feel confused about how social networks like Facebook allow for UNLIMITED images to be uploaded by millions of people.

Anyway, I see the number of image uploads is growing, and people are using the no-limit possibility “too much”, and… too many images do not add any value, sometimes even vice-verse, they decrease value, especially in Adverts when there are more images and less info written, and lots of images are similar.

I’d still like to limit the number of images allowed to be uploaded per TL.

Why don’t you use the available image site settings to make the images resize to much smaller (lower quality)?

There is also a rake task @neil and @zogstrip worked on which can forcefully resize all images on your site.

When I put a smaller size in the setting, it fails resizing big images (actually times-out, but says the image is too big, which is confusing cause it’s under 10MB the allowed upload limit). I remember discussing it in a separate issues here on Meta as well.

Also, limiting number of images in PM would be also an effective means.