List of full moderation tools?

I would be up for this. I think it would be a help. I am tech savvy enough to get through the install, but not experienced enough to program. I am probably not the only admin who looks at /sidekiq and thinks “This is obviously telling me something, I just wish I understood what it was saying - if I could just talk to sidekiq I’m sure we could have a richer, more nurturing relationship”.

I think a wiki which concentrated on daily activities for moderators would be helpful. Meta is great (as is discourse), but much of the content here is about support, and programming. The questions I brought with me when I first arrived were noob ones: How to I help a user who isn’t getting emails? (Check if there are bounces to that account, tell the user to check their spam folders, tell them to contact their ISP). How do I tell when an update ran? How do I trigger an update? What happens when an update runs? What does it mean when the system flags a user as “suspect”?

A few top down overviews of the internal workings wouldn’t be amiss. Nor would an explanation of just what renaming a user, or changing ownership of a post actually does.

HIDIs would be useful (HIDI: “How I Do It”): Howto: Change a user's email when they can't access the email account and forgot password

I can’t be the only one who stares at a button or setting and thinks “is this the self destruct feature?”

3 Likes