With the current features, here’s how I have done it. .
- Set up single topic as the Calendar wherever it makes sense in your community
- Post event topics in Event Category with event name/date/location in title; details in body of post; link back to Calendar to show other events, if desired.
- Manually add links to event topics in Calendar post in order January to December for each calendar year.
- For ticketing, link out from the event post to ticketing platform like EventBrite.
- Let the event topics just be ordered as normal (by last updated).
Linking event topics in the Calendar post is the part that could use some automation. Also doesn’t solve the Christmas event topic posted in July problem, but it’s workable. You can also ask attendees to RSVP by liking the event topic or reply by email with +1.
I have seen other requests for ordered topics (e.g., for documentation). Maybe add some general feature that deals with this issue? If sorted by alpha you could use date format YYYY-MM-DD or some other sortable numbering at the start of the topic.