Mbox.rb replacing underscores with spaces

(Jay Pfaffman) #1

Something in one of these files is replacing underscores with spaces in email addresses. I’m 99% sure that the one I forked did too, but I’m including my copy in case I did something boneheaded.

is replacing _ with a space in email addresses.

I can’t find it, and it’s making me crazy. I don’t see that any of the .gsubs could be doing it.

Any ideas where I should look, @eviltrout?

(Robin Ward) #2

Are you talking about underscores to spaces or spaces to underscores? The title of the topic is different than the body :slight_smile:

I am pretty sure our system does not allow spaces in emails and will replace them, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it uses underscores.

(Jay Pfaffman) #3

Fixed the title.

Right. That’s what’s bizarre. Emails that have underscores in them are ending up causing errors because the underscores are getting replaced with spaces.

m_smith@gmail.com becomes m smith@gmail.com.

Edit: but it only happens sometimes.

Anyway, I was hoping it was something silly and obvious that I was somehow overlooking. Thanks.

(Robin Ward) #4

I personally haven’t seen this, but it might depend on the mbox format. If you could provide an example of an email that is messed up and the original input I can take a look and try to figure it out.

(Jay Pfaffman) #5

Thanks, @eviltrout. I’ve added some more debugging messages and will see what I can see.