Media Overlay component

Thanks for the component.
I am using the master branch of discourse github (commit https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/db7be947df29bb2ab27dd3abd80e3b470dcb74e5).
Just wanted to let you know that I’ve just enabled the component on the Default Theme.
Once I’ve done that, it breaks the rendering of the site, as it loops the main container again and again infinitely… any suggestion?
thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the report @nicopace. @pmusaraj just pushed some updates to the theme

https://github.com/davidtaylorhq/discourse-media-overlay-theme/commit/b670c3125bf23859dd22ba68937a7b4d46f74eef

Please can you try updating and let us know if things are working better?

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. It works.
I wonder if there is any plan to support delayed iframe renderings like the ones in https://github.com/discourse/discourse-bbb that appear after you click in a button.

1 Like

This (quite wonderful) Theme Component does seem to work, but it is tagged as “broken”.

I can’t make it not work.

Could others please test as well and provide results?

If it’s not broken, can we remove the “broken” tag?

Hi @denvergeeks. It looks like this was tagged as broken due to some issues with YouTube oneboxes. Can you confirm whether YouTube videos are working on ok your site with this theme component?

Thanks @david – You are correct it is throwing errors and choking on YouTube vids and iframes too, but I forked and removed the LazyYT in the .js and it does work after that…

2 Likes

Great! Would you mind making a PR with that change?

1 Like

OK I think I did that PR right (enough).

3 Likes

Looks great, thanks for that. I’ve now removed broken from this topic :rocket:

3 Likes

ok this is awesome! thanks for fixing @denvergeeks and @david :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not every user will embed the iframe code, everyone will directly embed the video URL. Maybe it’s worth implementing a tool to convert the YouTube video URL into an iframe embed code

i’m quite certain a theme component can be made for this and putting a button on the composer tool bar. or this one could be forked with that part added.

An additional button will complicate the interface. It is necessary that the conversion of URL addresses is carried out automatically, imperceptibly for the user. Then all embedded videos, regardless of the embed method, will work correctly

1 Like

well ok. then one could fork it and make it automatic i suppose. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Maybe it should be in the core so that all URLs are parsed to the same standard?

I’m not sure I understand the request here… Discourse already expands YouTube links into iframes as part of our “onebox” system. Just paste the URL on a line by itself:

2 Likes

Yes, but pasting the URL directly does not work with this component. The component does not see the iframe onebox. You need to paste the iframe code directly for the component to work. And what no one does, everyone puts only the URL, not the iframe code

2 Likes

Yes, the ideal would be for users to just paste whatever is provided by the source and it automagically works in Discourse!

Seems pretty basic to nOObs!

1 Like

Ah I see, that makes sense :+1:

Definitely pr-welcome if anyone would like to try and get this theme component working with core’s new ‘lazy-videos’ implementation

4 Likes

Thanks again. Media Overlay theme component from GitHub - davidtaylorhq/discourse-media-overlay-theme was a reason. When i turned it off, Discourse started working correctly.

1 Like