Migration from Yahoo! Groups

Interesting… I did not know about yahoo groups getting rid of uploaded content. I have an old yahoo group I still maintain for my neighborhood and it’s been back of mind to migrate it to a discourse instance… maybe it’s coming time.

The easiest way to migrate methinks would be to export the subscriber list to csv and then use that to create your user base in discourse - that should be fairly straightforward.

For the content, do you have a complete history of messages sent to the list in your email? If so, you could use an app like thunderbird to download all the messages and save them to MBOX. Once you have that then there are scripts for importing. I think this recipe will help you: Importing mailing lists (mbox, Listserv, Google Groups, emails, ...)

Not sure about what you are describing as uploaded content - I haven’t used yahoo groups that way myself. I do not know what your options are for getting those out of yahoo and preparing those for discourse. It may be a manual process… and maybe a good opportunity to get organized and get rid of stuff that is no longer needed.

But yes, discourse is discussion oriented and so all content is in topics. It is possible to set topics as wikis so that they can be maintained by a group, including adding/removing attachments. There are also personal messages which could be used to talk to yourself or a handpicked selection of other people, where I suppose people could keep some content. It may be easier for you to look at another tool with SSO for file sharing. In my community we use wordpress which has a plugin that handles SSO, which works quite seamlessly. If you’re talking about alot of files, you could set up a nextcloud instance.

Have fun!

update: whoa… certainly looks like it’s time to move. They are really taking drastic action to limit the usefulness of yahoo groups, very soon. No more new content as of 28 October, in two days! And content to be removed on 14 December.

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html?impressions=true

4 Likes