Min Password Length vs Block Common Passwords

My bet there is that the client-side validation is counting octets, whereas the server, being Unicode-aware, is counting characters, and coming up with a different result.

1 Like

Characters in that codeblock (and indeed all of U+1xxxx) are four-octets long in UTF-8. I don’t know what it’s counting, but Unicode 7/Unicode 8 issues (like amphora) could be in play.

Taking the string " :slight_smile: " as an example, javascript says

"😀".length = 2

and Ruby says

"😀".length = 1

Which is the correct implementation here? @codinghorror's blog post says:

because it’s nice and simple for users. So :slight_smile: is one character. That sounds reasonable to me.

However
 the blog also says

This is indeed true of the Discourse password fields - one emoji = 2 characters. So if it’s showing as 2 characters in the password field, surely that should count as 2 characters in a password :confounded:

On a related note, it is currently very difficult to type emojis directly into html password inputs - you can only copy/paste them in. This is the case on Chrome on mac (using system emoji window), and also Safari on iOS (the emoji button doesn’t even show up with the password field focused). So, as much as I try, I can’t use :white_check_mark: :horse: :battery: :paperclip: as my password on Discourse (without cheating with copy/paste).

2 Likes

😀 is four octets in UTF-8: Base64 visualizer

I have no idea why Javascript gets that count. (UTF-16?) But 😀 does show as âșâș in the password field of Discourse (for me).

3 Likes

It would appear so (from here)

3 Likes

A sentence with spaces - could be the best personal password choice

I’m not sure a space would work. It’s a control character and there might be some filters somewhere that wouldn’t like it.

A space is absolutely fine, it’s just another character as far as a password is concerned. Try it here on meta - it works.

4 Likes

Testing again, now that I know my password manager is :amphora: safe. The same thing happens now: enough emoji to get a green “okay” is not enough to actually work. And as I tried longer and longer passwords, iteratively, it logged me out, I think on the third try. When I did successfully set it, to a :ten: emoji password, I still got a “you have been logged out” message flash by, but it didn’t actually log me out.

Not sure if that log out thing is an emoji-specific bug or some sort of misguided (or at least unhelpful) feature. If it is a feature, please make the “you have been logged out” box explain why.

Yeah, this is due to Javascript’s legacy causing it to mis-count the length of strings containing emoji (and other Astral Plane characters). The server counts the length correctly.

2 Likes