`min ratio to crop` site setting should respect w/h ratio as defined in markdown

Perhaps we should give the team some space to respond then, as this has been derailed from a simple bug report into a full off-topic opinion piece.

This straw man has been beaten to death, perhaps it is time to lay it to rest?

No one here is arguing that this default needs changing, actually it is quite sensible as it is:

What I’m arguing is that min ratio to crop should only operate using the dimensions defined in the post itself, rather than those from the physical file.

If the image with the low w/h pixel ratio is resized manually inside the post, it surely doesn’t dominate the discussion any more?

And before the question arises, why this constitutes a bug:

it’s because I’m unable to format only a specific subset of images, which would dominate discussion if left unformatted, thus creating a catch-22.

If you still don’t belive me that this setting breaks the expected functionallity, please try and resize the second picture in the OP to 50% using the composer scaling tool.

The result is that all pictures in the post can be narrowed to half width, except the tall narrow ones.

1 Like