Missing Open Graph og:type

Hi,

When checking the Open Graph validation for the site, it seems to be missing the “og:type” field.

How can we add this?

Thanks
Peter

1 Like

Per the spec a missing type should be parsed as og:type=website, which is what we would end up using.

Any non-marked up webpage should be treated as og:type website.

But I guess it doesn’t hurt to be specific? #pr-welcome

3 Likes

Do you have some sort of roadmap, where we can see when this is planned?

I feel like this is a very minor thing, but something that would have a large impact for us.

Thanks
Peter

Can you explain exactly how it would have a large impact? If the value is missing, the default is correct, per above. Specifying the value of something that is already valid by default doesn’t seem like a good use of our engineering time.

2 Likes

First of all, thank you for a very cool product, we really like it.

But I’m a bit unsure what you mean?

From what I can understand (and I may very well be wrong), the four required Open Graph tags for every page are og:title , og:type , og:image , and og:url .

But the og:type is missing, which is causing our Open Graph validation to fail. It just seems to be a very small thing to add. Adding this would, in our case, improve our ranking search wise and then drive more trafic to our community.

1 Like

I ended up adding the tag manually to the <head>: Settings > Customize > Select theme > Edit CSS/HTML > "</head> tab"

Seems to be validating now!

1 Like

Adding it increased the audit ranking of our forums on Ahrefs from 54% to 74%.

4 Likes

Its exactly our ahrefs validation that fails. We can add it manually as suggested by @JoshuaH, but it just seems like such a small thing to fix, so it would be nice to have in the next release.

Thanks
Peter

2 Likes

This should solve it

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 16 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.