Optimizing the droplet after a server capacity upgrade

Hi,

We upgraded our server capacity on 11/24 by doubling the RAM from 2gb to 4gb, while keeping the CPU cores at 2. We upgraded because users have been complaining about seeing the ‘extreme load’ message often. On the whole, as you can see from the graph below, disk I/O reduced significantly after the upgrade. While load seems to largely stay the same.

This is anecdotal of course, but some users say they are seeing the Extreme load message even more frequently than before. I look at the load graph again, and maybe the load spikes over 1.0 a teeny bit more than before.

I read here before that a recommendation that Unicorn workers should be proportional to the amount of server memory. Our set up is currently at 4. I thought that’s in line for the amount of memory that we have. Are there other settings that I should be tweaking?

Thanks!

Some other graphs that I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. Memory utilization steady at 60%. (at ~80% before the upgrade)

Disk usage at 86%. If that matters, I just did a launcher cleanup and reduced it to 66%.

1 Like

If you run discourse-setup again it’ll adjust the memory settings. You can also edit the yml file by hand. There are comments that describe the settings.

3 Likes