[Paid] Fullstack dev for bidimensionnal navigation

(Bedhed) #1

Context

We are a startup of 140+ employees, building a decentralized network of food distribution communities, each community is managed by a Host. We have around 1000 in Europe. We want the Hosts, the Farmers, and the Members to collaborate online.
After a year of internal testing, La Ruche qui dit Oui ! (The Food Assembly in UK) is ready to bring our network on our Discourse.

What would you like done?

We need a fullstack dev to implement a bidimensional navigation feature.
:scream:

Don’t be afraid, I’ll explain :

• we want a plugin
  • GPL2 is fine
  • enabling the creation of custom tables
  • either in content or a new kind of pages
  • the table creator configures one tag per column, on tag per line
  • the table is published
  • the table cells contain a list of all the topics which have both tags (column & line)
    :cold_sweat:

Alright, an example:

• I create a table, declaring the tags “TODO” “DO” “DONE” as 3 columns.
  • declaring the tags “DESIGN”, “CODE”, “DEPLOY” as 3 lines.
  • I publish my table
  • I get something looking like
  • the table would be sexy, with hover on links, icons, etc.
             |   TODO      |   DO        |   DONE      |
-------------|-------------|-------------|-------------|
   DESIGN    |             | 365 896     | 234         |
   CODE      | 845         | 745 312     |             |
   DEPLOY    | 256         |             |             |

Where

• 365 & 896 are links to the 2 topics with tags DESIGN + DO
  • 234 is a link to the 1 topic with tags DESIGN + DONE
  • 845, CODE + TODO

FYI, this would be a discourse implementation of the practishare methodology.

When do you need it done?

A delivery for September would be swell.

What is your budget, in $ USD that you can offer for this task?

We’re planning a first investment between $2000 & $8000.

Lattice - A bidirectional navigation plugin for Discourse
(Sam Saffron) #2

I like this because it is very very quirky and different :slight_smile:

Overall, once we have table support this should be fairly straightforward except that keeping the data in the table “fresh” is going to be tricky especially if it is embedded in a post.

How “fresh” do you need the data to be?

• Always up to date?
  • Can be up to 1 day old?
  • Somewhere inbetween?

Also, security is a concern, what if some “Design/TODO” topics are in a private category?

(Bedhed) #3

Daily make sense for us (we want to use it to organize a knowledge base, an lag of 12h average won’t hurt much).
The above Kanban example, which is not our primary use, would be nice to have real-time.
But it’s probably better to start simple (daily), and iterate to speed up refreshing.

I am not confident enough on our needs to give a precise answer, sorry.

• In a perfect world, each user can only see topics he/she can access, obviously. But I’m pretty sure the code complexity will be overwhelming for a first iteration.
  • In the real & ugly world, we don’t really care some users can see a topic link/title… they won’t be able to access the content anyway. And we say it is the author responsibility to build a table users can browse.
  • In a quick & smart world, we could do : the table only index posts of its own category. That seems fairly easy to achieve, and solves all security concerns. But degrades the feature quite drastically.

(Bedhed) #4

It’s an open question, but as the feature is supposed to ease the organisation/navigation between posts, it could be seen as counter-intuitive to put it within a post. Maybe it should be looked at like a new kind of topic listing page…

(Bedhed) #5

@sam I was really happy to get your approval on this job and thought to get many candidates. I had a couple only. Is it expected on this category ? Or is there an issue with my proposal ?
Thanks for your advise :slight_smile:

Tag intersections page
(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #6

Just one or two freelancers getting in touch sounds quite normal. The Discourse ecosystem is growing steadily, but there’s not yet any independent developers who’re making a living off of doing Discourse work 5 days a week. I’d say there’s about 20 regular devs around who could do this kind of job, but their times of availability vary greatly.

(system) #7

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.