phpBB to Discourse, Avatars are not displaying

Hello,

I am in the process of moving from phpBB to Discourse and managed to get everything up and running except for the avatars. Any user uploaded avatars from phpBB are not displaying and I am getting the letter avatar, however if a user has setup Gravatar on phpBB it is able to fetch and grab the images from there and set them properly.

When I navigate to /var/discourse/shared/standalone/import/data/avatars/upload I can see that there are images of users avatars in there, however when I view my forums they are not being associated to the user.

I have read this thread: Letter avatars still displayed after importing phpbb3 avatars the only plugins we are using are:

• Docker Manager
  • Discourse MigratePassword

Since Iā€™m a new user I cannot link to both of those, but are easy to find on GitHub. I do not believe are causing any issues. I have my avatars settings.yml file as:

import:
        uploaded: true
        gallery: true
        remote: true

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what might be the issue? I would like to not have to force our users to re-upload their avatars once we go live with Discourse. I have verified that once on Discourse you can re-upload your avatar and it works perfectly fine.

Thanks!

read this: Letter avatars still displayed after importing phpbb3 avatars

grep ā€˜bicubicā€™ app/models/optimized_image.rb

And see if bicubic is still there. Change that word to ā€˜catromā€™.

Thanks for the reply!

I have changed bicubic to catrom, and restarted the app. Still getting the letter avatars displaying though.

@mattbr

I recently just migrated another phpbb3 forum to discourse.

At first, the imported user-uploaded avatars were not shown either. After finishing the sidekiq jobs, the avatars showed.

If they donā€™t show up, you can click the empty avatar on your forum, and paste the URL here. And I will see if anything I can do to help.

2 Likes

@marguerite

I just checked and there are no SideKiq jobs in the queue, I flushed it just in-case as well. I am still getting letter avatars.

When I go to a users profile with a letter avatar the URL for their avatar is: http://127.0.0.1:81/letter_avatar_proxy/v2/letter/e/8dc957/120.png

Thanks for the response! I think at this point Iā€™m going to bump down the priority of this, and when I go live just have my users re-upload their avatars as this is really just a nice to have.

@mattbr

As I explained in my previous topic, if you see the URL of a lettered avatar (which is the system default), your uploaded_avatar_id might be empty.

Install a pgweb and see your user_avatar table, find a ā€œcustom_upload_idā€, and use that id to find the actual location of the image in uploaded table.

Try open that URL with a browser, see if it is right.

(Maybe image read permission error?)

All your avatar urls are pointing to localhost 127.0.0.1 for some reason?

@marguerite looking at the database the custom_upload_id is NULL for every user, some users have their gravatar IDs setup. Iā€™m not going to bother working on this anymore, and just have users re-upload their avatars. Thanks for all the help though!

@schungx I have an EC2 instance running my Discourse forums, I just opened up the SSH ports so I can jump on it and test locally.