If full quoting is made mandatory in an AMA topic, maybe we should
Add an AMA topic view mode besides Summarize view mode.
In AMA view mode, hide the question-post once it is answered by the topic author
By “hide” I mean for everyone except mods and the question author (so they still can edit it etc)
Make AMA view mode the default one for the topic once the topic author or admin/mod clicks “AMA finished” in the topic wrench.
This way, there will be only one mention of a question; its answer, if any, will come immediately next to it. Yet it won’t touch anything related to chronology, but rather just hide/show messages in a topic.
An interesting side-effect of such an implementation is that one will easily visually distinguish between answered and unanswered questions.
Once the AMA session is finished, a system message is added to the thread, just like when closing / pinning / splitting topic.
Below that line, even in AMA view mode, no posts are ever hidden, meaning that the conversation may continue just normally with using full features set of Discourse.
We can optionally add “Start AMA session” button as well.
As a result, an AMA session can be started/stopped in any topic, just like a topic can be pinned and then unpinned.
When rendering the topic, messages between “Started AMA session” and “Stopped AMA session” will just be rendered a bit differently.
Finally, if it is an admin / mod who creates a topic and not the AMA person, we need another wrench option: “Select a user for AMA sessions in this topic”, so that the system knows whose’s actually answering questions in the AMA session. If not selected, the topic author is considered the one.
- Admin creates a topic and says that MisterX will be running an AMA this Friday in this topic.
- people get excited and write something in the topic and spread it
- on the day X, admin chooses the AMA session runner and clicks “Start AMA session”, both in the topic wrench
- the AMA is going on, just like normal discussion in Discourse, with only two limitations: a) full quote is required, or just forced automatically in all posts of the AMA runner; and b) people can’t reply to the replies
- once finished, either an admin/mod or the AMA runner can stop the AMA session (system message appears)
- AMA view mode appears in such a topic and becomes the default view; it only affects topic between AMA started/stopped system messages.