Poll OneBoxing - Improvement Request

There is a great opportunity to improve the Poll oneboxing. It would be ideal if it oneboxed the entire poll so people could easily vote and see results.

My users really like the poll feature and use it often - and it has some really good information in it sometimes that we’d like to share with many other users via linking/referrals - but the current oneboxing really doesn’t do it justice, or make it easy.

Please add the entire poll format to the onebox so it has the voting options. (I’m assumign this is possible without too much trouble).

1 Like

The idea is that people vote on the original post, not a copy or linked version of it…

Yes - understood.

But there is some really good information in some our polls that I can anticipate using for a long time - i.e. years (e.g. how effective a given medication is for people) - and it helps a lot to be able to direct people to these polls in a way that is visually appealing. Right now we can’t do that - and it really limits the value of the polls.

The current Poll oneboxing is not very visually appealing - so we can’t use it as much as we would like.

1 Like

Sure the post one box could handle display of polls better.

2 Likes

Are there any plans to revisit this?

(Sorry for necroing)

For what purpose? Can you describe the use case with an example or two?

The thing I want is just to be able to link or quote polls in a visually appealing way. I don’t think users necessarily should be able to vote in oneboxed polls, unlike the OP.

We are currently running weekly polls with discussions, and have a topic where users can find links to past and present polls. If the oneboxes were better we could use the links to give people a glance at the results before they enter the topic.
It would also be useful when we get around to designing our next big thing, and we could keep a topic where we could have all the relevant polls linked so that we don’t have to open multiple topics to get the results.

4 Likes

Well that certainly makes it much easier, and I can agree 100%!

2 Likes

Hmmm … so testing this out here… just to confirm current behavior

• I am
  • a poll

0 voters

I have a poll here:

This appears to be what is happening now, so I am not sure what change is being proposed.

There may be some edge case around “full post quote” that is about all I can see.

2 Likes

The current onebox shows there being 0 voters and shows no results, regardless of what the results were when the quote was created or what it is at the time of viewing.
This is currently my main issue. I would like it to show the latest results. Considering that an expanded quote will show any updates to the quoted post I would assume this to be possible.

With my first post, the thing I wanted was that the “I am a poll 0 voters Show results” that the quote shows when not expanded be replaced with something “more visually appealing”, be it the oneboxed poll or something else entirely. I now see that I phrased this really poorly.

4 Likes

We should definitely improve this. Maybe you can add it to your list @gerhard?

5 Likes

@nbianca can you improve the oneboxing for polls maybe instead of:

Hmmm… so testing this out here… just to confirm current behavior

• I am
  • a poll

Or even if we are feeling a bit out-of-space

Hmmm… so testing this out here… just to confirm current behavior [poll]

Maybe go with the second one for now cause we don’t like multiline in our onebox, also test on topic onebox (which has slightly diff format)

3 Likes

I implemented this in

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/7539

Here is how it looks:

4 Likes

I kinda agree with @sam here. Polls might contain lots of items and that will be really hard to display correctly in a onebox. I think the easiest way would be to replace the poll with a link.

3 Likes

Oh, I updated my PR. It was a small change:

10 Likes

Much safer, easier too, looks excellent!

2 Likes