Poll Plugin Fix and Bumping the version

The poll plugin recently had an issue which required users to login twice to vote. It was patched a day ago with this patch but the version in the plugin.rb was never bumped to 0.1 to 0.2 which I believe doesn’t allow the poll plugin to be upgrade through admin/upgrade panel (screenshot below). Is that correct? Will bumping the poll plugin version allow the upgrade without having to restart the entire docker container?

If thats true, please consider merging my pull request #3250 to bump the version to 0.2

That is not the problem actually, this is a bit of a feature discussion.

As it stands the poll plugin is bundled, together with lazyYT discourse/plugins at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub

Prior to Docker days this was the only clean way to ensure adoption. These days we have a simpler story, but its hard to make a change cause we can not reach in to all the container definitions out there and include extra repos.

So for now you get latest poll by updating Discourse :frowning:

3 Likes

I think that is fine personally. These are core plugins, they come with Discourse.

The pain point here is that its hard to try out “beta” releases, long term poll should probably be pulled out, or maybe just integrated in like we did with emoji.

1 Like

If they already come with discourse, are they really plugins? If I can’t change/disable/update plugins independently of discourse then they aren’t plugins in the true sense.

Maybe it would work better for bundling these particular plugins by allowing them to be installed/enabled/disabled through the admin panel. Instead of keeping the Poll Plugin and the lazyYT in the main discourse repository, the default installation could provide links to these plugins git repos through the admin panel.