Populating Full Name with Email Address if Left Blank by SSO

pr-welcome

(Hannah Fordham) #1

Continuing the discussion from "Full Name" Shown on /About With Full Name Option Disabled:

It seems (from our experience and one other poster in the above thread) that the behaviour when Discourse isn’t passed a full name by SSO (which is an optional field) is that it populates that field with the email address.

This seems like a bug (it should probably be left blank, or if it’s required by the settings then populated with username).

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #2

I’m trying to repro this but looks like this isn’t the case.

The only way to have an entire email address on the name would be a improperly configured SSO passsing the email on the username field, since User.suggest_name will remove everything after the @.

It doesn’t literally use the entire email, yes, but it does populate something potentially public with information from something that’s definitely non-public, which turns into a privacy diaster any time there’s a failure to check whether full names are supposed to be enabled/exposed.

IMO, even though I dislike this behavior, I’d suggest that simply warning about this in the SSO documentation could be more than enough of a “fix”. (Where it states that a field is optional, clarify that it doesn’t mean that the field in the database is left blank/null, but is instead populated in this way.)

(Sam Saffron) #4

Sure, feel free to edit to clarify.

Not sending username OR name in sso payload is considered highly irregular and this is simply a corner case being handled.

I am also to a PR that requires name or username is always set when sending through sso reqs.

A #pr-welcome for “either name or username must be set, if not sso returns an error”