Private Topics - are they supported?

(Jeff Atwood) #21

No, he correctly said there are category permissions. You cannot set permissions per topic.

(Hammad Abbasi) #22

got it, Many thanks for the help.

(Hammad Abbasi) #23

I would appreciate if you can shed some light on this too ? Thanks in advance @codinghorror

(Mittineague) #24

As I understand your “requirements”, there is no need for a plugin,

In the sense that a message is in effect treated as a topic (without a category) control over which members can access it already exists.

Earlier you said messages were "hard to search"
Sorry, but I disagree, I do not believe that it would be more difficult for anyone to find any given message than it would be to find any given forum topic.

I guess a large part of the problem is you have said “my requirements” but I do not understand what those are.

Please provide exact and detailed specifications explaining what the requirements are.

Discourse customization and Plugins development

I wanted to restrict to a specific group the creation of threads in a particular category; everyone else can only view or reply in this category. However, no matter how I edit the permissions under the category security, the permissions remain with the “everyone” permission only with no other permissions attached. Am I misunderstanding the use of the permission feature? Would much appreciate the help. Thank you!

(Simon Cossar) #26

Can you read through this topic and see if it answers your question? How to use category security settings to control access to content

Thank you for the link – that was helpful!

I realized in order to save the additional permissions, I would need to click the “Add Permission” button again – and that would solve my problem. Sorry for the question!