Problems with INSTALL-cloud.md directions

Sorry what? There are a number of “errors” reported in this topic so can you please elaborate with the actual text?

Yes I was referring to the originally reported error:

Press ENTER to continue, 'n' to try again, or ^C to exit:
LETSENCRYPT_ACCOUNT_EMAIL change failed.
web.ssl.template.yml enabled
letsencrypt.ssl.template.yml enabled

Unfortunately, there was an error changing containers/app.yml

This was an issue for me with EC2 when I had micro and small instances. Once I used a medium sized instance (4GB of RAM), the installer ran fine.

Wait. You’re saying that you got that error about not enabling Let’s Encrypt with 4GB and not with 2GB? I cannot imagine how that could possibly be true. The only thing that I can think of would be that there was an error with discourse-setup when you tried in the 2GB container that got updated when you tried again in the 4GB host, but I don’t remember that I had committed broken code, so that explanation doesn’t quite make sense either.

Aha. It looks like the current version of discourse-setup prints Let's Encrypt will be enabled for $letsencrypt_account_email before it attempts to change the file. My best guess is that your 2GB attempt failed because of old code and the new one worked with the new code.

1 Like

No, I said the opposite.

As for why this worked and the 2GB didn’t, I can’t say for sure but I know that I was pulling the latest version of Discourse on each attempt. These attempts were a few minutes apart so I’d be pretty darn surprised if there were a change in those few minutes that made the difference but perhaps you’d know more than me about that.

The code that does the replacement for the Let’s Encrypt address should be impervious to RAM requirements. I just did a quick test on my machine with 32GB of RAM and it worked fine.

And both instances were running the same OS?

I’ve got no explanation.

Sorry, I think I’m not being very clear. From my experience, I’d expect it to work with 32GB of RAM but not with 2GB of RAM. Did you try it with 2GB of RAM?

My installs were all done with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on EC2.

1 Like

OK. I just did a quick test of a 1GB DO droplet. I let discourse-setup create a 2GB swap file.

Does this look right?

Hostname      : test.ltcmp.net
Email         : pfaffman@gmail.com
SMTP address  : sdf.com
SMTP port     : 587
SMTP username : ef
SMTP password : pas
Let's Encrypt : pfaffman@gmail.com

ENTER to continue, 'n' to try again, Ctrl+C to exit: 
Let's Encrypt will be enabled for pfaffman@gmail.com
web.ssl.template.yml enabled
letsencrypt.ssl.template.yml enabled

Configuration file at containers/app.yml updated successfully!

Mine has that “Let’s Encrypt will be enabled for pfaffman@gmail.com” before it attempts the change. I can’t explain why yours didn’t if you did a

git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse_docker.git /var/discourse

recently.

1 Like

Strange, I also let mine create a swap file. Could be something with EC2 that causes issues, not sure what else it would be.

1 Like

Did you get a message like this when you tried to enable let’s encrypt:

Checking your domain name . . .
test.ltcmp.net resolves to 162.243.30.29. Looks good!

If not, you somehow got an older version of discourse-setup.

Yes, I did get this. I actually don’t remember explicitly enabling let’s encrypt so I’m guessing it does it automatically or I did it without noticing.

1 Like