Query about Discourse features

Hello,

I am looking for forum software that meets all or most of the feature requirements listed below. I would very much appreciate if you could tell me which of these Discourse supports OOTB and for those that are not supported if it would be possible to add the feature.

1	Auto refresh of forum page when Topics are added or modified. To be clear, the user should not have to refresh the browser window to see new content. Unread content should be clearly indicated.
2	It should be possible to see each topic in a thread view. As “threading” views are implemented differently in various forums please see <https://community.jivesoftware.com/thread/259086> for an example of how I desire it.
3	A WYSIWYG editor for posts.
4	The ability to embed multimedia within a post.
5	The ability to attach files to a post.
6	Group as well as individual permissions.
7	Support for tags. Preferably tags should be available from a canonical list on a forum by forum basis.
8	Search facility based on both text and tags.
9	Ability to watch both forums and topics.
10	Ability to archive old posts.
11	API for integration to other software, f.i. a knowledge base.

Many thanks in advance for your consideration.

All the best,
Joel

Discourse has:

Afaik tags are not implemented (enough interest in it and someone might do it).

Isn’t it abit lazy to ask others instead of check out Discourse’s awesome features yourself (you should have seen some of the features just by making the post)? =D

Almost all are there out of the box.

Here are a few that are not, by design:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/threaded-vs-flat-discourses-way-of-handling-responses-is-genius-but-i-have-one-small-suggestion/4053

https://meta.discourse.org/t/shouldnt-you-be-able-to-tag-with-multiple-categories/256

I disagree that Discourse has a WYSIWYG editor (#3). It has a Markdown editor with a live preview. Not quite the same thing.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for reply. Yes, you are right about being a bit lazy. My defence is that I am research numerable forums. I created the list of the features I needed and asked the same questions to each. Lazy, but efficient :wink:

Cheers

Two replies seemed to indicate that my first item

*1	Auto refresh of forum page when Topics are added or modified. To be clear, the user should not have to refresh the browser window to see new content. Unread content should be clearly indicated.*

is supported OOTB. But I have been testing this by watching the “Features” category and this does not seem to be the case. I watch for a while and the is no update and then I refresh the browser and there is new content.

Is there anyway to enable auto refresh, it really a must for our use case.

Oh, try sitting on the homepage. You’ll get a N new topics. Click to see. message. There’s something weird where it won’t show updates to threads that aren’t either new or that you’re tracking, so I hope that gets fixed soon.

And topic pages themselves autoupdate too, and it’s pretty obvious when it happens - to see this, create an account on try.discourse.org, open a thread in a second browser, and reply to the thread in your first browser.

You will see brand new topics that didn’t exist before.

You will not see existing topics that have been updated unless you are “tracking” or “watching” them.

Thanks. I’ll give that a try.

Live preview is WYSIWYG. Discourse’s editor is certainly more accurate than WordPress’ supposed WYSIWYG editor.

I don’t think I can mention a single editor with in-editor-formatting that I’ve liked (and doesn’t require me to go into HTML mode to clean up every once in a while).

3 Likes

No, Discourse’s editor is a WYSINWYG (What You See Is Not What You Get) editor, according to that comic you linked, because it has tags and other bits of code in the editor itself, then shows what you get in the preview pane.

Still works very well and I prefer it over WYSIWYG editors.

1 Like

eheh, I edited that comic in after the fact, and it wasn’t to support my statement, but that did get a bit confusing. However, the final post is what you get, and in that sense, Discourse does show you exactly what you’re gonna get, in the right hand panel.

1 Like