Rebuilding User Preferences

I’m pretty sure this never existed… Did I lose something in the re-org?

Good catch. Some of the dropdowns shrunk. I’ll fix.

I think it was a mistake to put the Full Name and Avatar fields in the profile tab. Those are fields that are visible in so many places on the site (user cards, beside posts, quotes, emails, etc.) so they should be in the first tab, Account. I’ll be moving them.

3 Likes

Nope, nothing lost. It just became apparent as there is close to nothing on the Account tab with the reorg. Perhaps moving some items from profile to account will help as you suggested.

2 Likes

The account tab looks much better now. However, the Full Name field is appearing empty for users that already have a full name:

4 Likes

Ah. Got it. Still doesn’t look very polished but bikeshedding and all that.

Also notice it’s not indented on mobile which seems fine to me.

1 Like

Oops, missed a file. Fixing.

As for the indenting, I guess it still makes sense without it. /shrug

1 Like

Neil, I realized my first post was unclear, and you fixed a bug (the width of the custom text field) that I didn’t report instead of the one I intended to report. My issue was with the font size and weight for the dropdown style custom field. Notice the yellow highlight vs blue.

I’m guessing the plugin didn’t put a class on the label. The “Camp” one must have it but the “Position” one doesn’t. e.g. from the cakeday plugin:

<label class="control-label">Date of Birth</label>
1 Like

That field isn’t from a plugin, that’s core.

5 Likes

Aha! Fixed that too.

6 Likes

I’m liking how rebuilding the user preferences is working out - nice job! :rocket:

One bit of feedback is that it feels weird to me to see so much profile-related stuff under the account tab, where I’d really expect to see just username, email, and password. Name, Profile picture, and Title really I would look for under Profile.

Meanwhile, some of the stuff currently in Profile is sort of “advanced” and is less important, a distraction for new users. I wonder if you might not want to move them into an “advanced” or similarly labelled sub-tab under profile. This would contain fields like User Card Badge, Title, Profile Background, User Card background

5 Likes

This is looking fantastic!

Suuuuuuuper minor, the open drop downs don’t act like the other drop downs - drop downs elsewhere close on a click or tap off of them. These don’t which allows a user to open up both of them, which makes them “feel” different than other drop downs.

1 Like

Sure, this should do the trick

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/b92b654ea3f1d51293d0f716a1680a277527c520

5 Likes

That’s exactly how it was, but feedback said it was weird that avatar and full name weren’t in the account tab. So… people have their own feelings I guess?

I agree that the card background being first in the tab is weird.

2 Likes

It is fine to reorder the items on each tab from “most important” (at the top) to “least important” (at the bottom).

4 Likes

I think it was me actually who asked about the account tab which, with my wordpress SSO setup, only had username and it can’t be edited. This is why I was suggesting maybe we try using CSS to hide that tab altogether which @cpradio generously offered a solution for.

Your response was to move more items (full name and avatar) into the ACCOUNT tab so they get more prominence. Maybe the answer actually is to move PROFILE to the top of the list of tabs and include the profile type fields there. ACCOUNT and ADVANCED could be sub-tabs of PROFILE. ACCOUNT could then be suppressed on SSO sites where they don’t make sense.

Anyhoo, bike shedding and what not. I’m pretty happy already. Maybe we should show some real users this page and see what they think.

2 Likes