Quick access to bookmarks and messages on user menu

pr-welcome

(Chris Saenz) #1

Using the new profile menu on mobile, I notice that clicking any of these buttons

shows basically the same result - the top of the user profile page, which only has a navigation menu. You have to scroll down a lot to actually see what you came for.

Instead of that, why not show a short list of what you clicked on, right in the menu?

Bookmarks:

(Tobias Eigen) #2

I agree it’s odd to arrive at basically the profile menu on mobile when clicking these links. the idea of displaying results in the menu panel, like notifications, is interesting! or at least jump down to an anchor in the results?

(Gerhard Schlager) #3

This problem exists for a long time. It makes it quite difficult to use the profile on mobile.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/profile-page-on-mobile-selecting-menu-item-should-jump-to-the-selected-content/19896?u=gerhard&source_topic_id=32787

(Jonathan Pautsch) #4

I like this idea! Although you’d need a “tab” (since that’s basically how these would function now) for notifications as well, to return to it.

Seems like 80+% of the time you’re only looking for recent bookmarks, messages, etc., so this might be useful.

You might also need a divider between the tabs and the settings icon though, since they now have different functions.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Basically profile page needs fixing. As @sam indicated it might be better if, when you view your own profile only, we compress the top part. It’s especially large on mobile too…

(Sam Saffron) #6

Mobile looks so much better these days :slight_smile: user page is much improved.

I still sort of like the idea of having a “quick access” somehow, cause despite the improvements I still avoid the user page quite a lot.

(Bianca) #7

Hello everyone,

I started working on this one. Here is a part of my progress so far.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

I think this change looks good, well done @nbianca, provided “view older {x}…” is updated to be conditional and link to the right place in each view:

• view older bookmarks…
  • view older messages…
  • view older notifications…

technically assignments are included here as well @sam –

This should be reviewed closely as it is a reasonably large change…