Replace "last post" with "last seen" in profile card?

I think “Last Seen” is a more useful data point than “Last Post”, at least as far as the profile card pop-up is concerned. I propose to swap out “Last Post” for “Last Seen” in the profile card.

Take the user @Cafeine for instance (sorry about the unmerited mention mate :stuck_out_tongue: )

If you find an old discussion with a post of his that you might want to address with a reply or private message, you might think twice when you see his profile:

By the looks of it, he hasn’t been around for a while, so your chances of a response from him seem slim. However, if you look at his profile:

“Seen 3 days ago”. So he actually checks in every once in a while. Might not be such a futile attempt to get in touch with him after all.

7 Likes

I see what you did there with ago :wink:

Lol, it was not intentional, I promise! Let’s not go there.

1 Like

Personally I feel we should allow admins more discretion around user cards, if they want to show post counts, country, and a custom field or two, so be it

I would find it more useful to see last seen, but would worry a tiny bit about people having such easy access to my last seen date, cause it is always 9 hours or less

7 Likes

Yeah the solution here is to let admins override the user card template, not to make little tweaks that will be right for some and wrong for others.

2 Likes

Hahaha I was “WTF why is my “face” in my email today?”. Quite surprised :stuck_out_tongue: But since we’re finishing porting our forum over to Discourse, I do think it’s a great idea to have the possibility to do it as said @sam and @codinghorror. We have a lot of lurkers and I do think I’d use that setting if available.

3 Likes

Thanks for dropping by and proving my point! :smiley:

Sure, I’m all for customisation. But don’t you think “Last Seen” is the more sane default?

Regarding stuff like this:

The only people who’d notice that are people who are also dropping by the forum every single day :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, if someone wants to out you as a Discourse-addict, all they have to do is have a look at your visits count on the Users page.

4 Likes

No, last seen is not a better default.

1 Like

Would love if you could say more about this and why you think so. Some strong points made by @erlend_sh - we also have a high proportion of lurkers and it’d make it more clear to us who’s been keeping an eye on the topics (even if not replying).

2 Likes