Saved Searches Plugin

I noticed one of my search terms included a space at the end. Could it be that the boldening doesn’t work if the search term ends with a space?

You can try it in the composer :wink:

**bold** and **bold with a space **

:arrow_right: bold and **bold with a space **

4 Likes

Ok some trimming of spaces is in order then. Will fix.

4 Likes

So I guess it would make sense to strip trailing spaces from search terms…

Will such a space also affect the search results?

Started playing with this here on meta to get a sense for how it works…

It might be nice to link to the search page too, like:

New search results for [moving](/search?q=moving)

(Particularly if we ever allow you to save/forget a search from the search page)

At some point, I think it could even be taken a step further, where there is just a single PM titled “New Search Results!” and within it, have it broken down into sections based on the search term:

### Moving

New search results for [moving](/search?q=moving)

- [Topic Foo - post 57](/t/1/foo/57)
- [Topic Bar - post 12](/t/2/bar/12)

### River City

New search results for [river city](/search?q=river%20city)

- [Topic Baz - post 3](/t/3/fbaz/3)
- [Topic Qux - post 1](/t/4/qux/1)
4 Likes

Something strange here:

I do not think @codinghorror interests what users save and I doubt that he wants to be added to this kind of PMs… :joy:

7 Likes

Yeah I put contact user instead of system user there… oops! I committed a fix.

9 Likes

I agree with @tophee that the expanded result is more helpful in general.

It seems like X is currently 2 here. Is that configurable?

3 Likes

It’s not configurable, but 2 is probably too low.

2 Likes

Messages are also sent for administrative actions.
These have arrived today:

Can't get data from notifications.json (solved)

and

Custom User fields not saving

If I click on the right arrow to expand the content, appears “loading” for less than a second but no text appears (in this case “Closed X X ago”).

But the point is whether this kind of link are needed.

I would love to receive them only when a reason, aka custom text, is added (“the bug is fixed”, “it is a duplicate of x”, “continue the discussion here [link]” or any other reason).

I think they would be much more functional for this plugin and also in general (Send a notification when a topic is closed if a custom text is added)

3 Likes

We should disallow these types of posts from appearing in saved searches @neil.

Agreed. This is on my list to fix.

3 Likes

I made a fix for this today. Only regular posts will trigger notifications now.

5 Likes

Italian translation updated on Github

2 Likes

@neil I have just update my forum to the latest version and I see some errors relative to this plugin, all about sidekiq Jobs::SavedSearchNotification

info

Job exception: undefined methodid’ for nil:NilClass`

Backtrace
/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-saved-searches/app/jobs/regular/saved_search_notification.rb:54:in `results_notification'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-saved-searches/app/jobs/regular/saved_search_notification.rb:22:in `block in execute'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-saved-searches/app/jobs/regular/saved_search_notification.rb:16:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-saved-searches/app/jobs/regular/saved_search_notification.rb:16:in `execute'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:134:in `block (2 levels) in perform'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rails_multisite-1.1.2/lib/rails_multisite/connection_management.rb:77:in `with_connection'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:129:in `block in perform'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:125:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:125:in `perform'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:188:in `execute_job'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:170:in `block (2 levels) in process'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/middleware/chain.rb:128:in `block in invoke'
/var/www/discourse/lib/sidekiq/pausable.rb:80:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/middleware/chain.rb:130:in `block in invoke'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/middleware/chain.rb:133:in `invoke'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:169:in `block in process'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:141:in `block (6 levels) in dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/job_retry.rb:97:in `local'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:140:in `block (5 levels) in dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq.rb:36:in `block in <module:Sidekiq>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:136:in `block (4 levels) in dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:204:in `stats'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:131:in `block (3 levels) in dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/job_logger.rb:7:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:130:in `block (2 levels) in dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/job_retry.rb:72:in `global'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:129:in `block in dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/logging.rb:44:in `with_context'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/logging.rb:38:in `with_job_hash_context'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:128:in `dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:168:in `process'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:85:in `process_one'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:73:in `run'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/util.rb:16:in `watchdog'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sidekiq-5.0.5/lib/sidekiq/util.rb:25:in `block in safe_thread'
4 Likes

I see the problem. Deleting the message will cause future notifications to fail. I’ll fix.

@Trash I committed a fix to the plugin.

4 Likes

I cannot complete the update via GUI.

I do not know if it is due to prometheus or saved search (cc @sam)

4 Likes

Ahh this is nothing to do with saved search, the prometheus plugin does not support the web updater at the moment. You are going to need to do a rebuild for now. I will get it fixed asap.

6 Likes

Can you make this available on the business hosted plan?