Discourse Saved Searches

:discourse2: Summary Discourse Saved Searches allows users to save searches and be notified when any new topics or posts match the search criteria.
:hammer_and_wrench: Repository Link https://github.com/discourse/discourse-saved-searches
:open_book: Install Guide How to install plugins in Discourse

Features

Following from the new watched words feature that takes action on bad words, here’s a plugin that lets people save a list of searches and get notified if any new topics and posts are created that match their searches.

After installing the plugin, enable it and choose the minimum trust level to allow creating saved searches.

There’s a new section in your preferences where you can define your list of searches.

Once a day, your searches will be performed. If there are new results that you haven’t already seen, you’ll get a private message with a list of links to the posts. If you want to get an email notification, be sure you’ve enabled “Send me an email when someone messages me” in your email settings.

One private message will be created for each of your search terms. Notification of new results will be posted as replies in the corresponding topic.

We’ve enabled it on meta for minimum trust level 2, so give it a try.

:bulb: Tip

The ‘saved searches’ in this plugin work exactly the same as a regular discourse search. So you can always try out a particular search by clicking :mag: in the top right of your forum, and pasting the search.

In general, searching for keywords will check in the topic title, and in the post/topic body.

Note that searches for multiple word phrases must be in double quotes “like this”.

CHANGELOG

TODO

43 Likes

I think you should get a notification for any search result that’s in a category or private/group message that you have access to. If you can give me an example of one you didn’t receive a ping for I can give it a run-through on my test site and see what the issues might be?

1 Like

Hi @JammyDodger ,

Thank you for your reply. In my case, i didn’t receive any ping for the topic that I created within a private category such as “Staff” that matches with my saved search query.

I have yet to try it in PMs or group messages so I can’t comment on that.

I want to know a bit more about how it works. From what I understand it would scan every topic & post to see if any keyword matches and then ping us if it does. Does it also take into account if the category’s name where the topic was created in, and/or if one of the assigned tags, matches with my saved keyword(s)?

1 Like

I don’t think it will notify you for topics that you create yourself, as I think it assumes you will have seen those already.

The saved searches behave the same as the regular searches, so will match on topic title and post content unless you also specify #tags or #categories to filter the results to a more specific selection.

There are quite a lot of filters you can make use of in the Advanced Search section to tweak your search to just how you want it. You can also Watch/Watch First Post for tags and categories as well, if that’s any help?

1 Like