Search results should prioritize first post in topic when title matches search term

Maybe… yeah in a later point we can consider including the first post as well. It would be a hugely complex change though.

4 Likes

One of the examples, if it helps in any way is this. Ideally, this link should show the 🗓 Discourse Event topic as the first matching entry due to exact match with the topic title but its the 10th entry in results.

https://meta.discourse.org/search?q=Discourse%20Event

4 Likes

I made a support topic a few days ago because I was again unable to find topics via search, but it looks like it was deleted/unlisted for some reason. This time around, the search term 本好きの下克上 on community.wanikani.com doesn’t give search results with all the topics with that title. The two topics it does return are for a seemingly random post that happens to include the text, but not the first post even though the search term is in the topic title.

Have we hit this new 250k limit already? Does it need to be increased again?

I’d also like to know, even if we do have 250k topics now (or did you mean posts?), how are the topics/posts to keep in the search index determined? If it’s by age, I don’t understand why the topic I’m expecting to find isn’t returned since it’s not even a year old. Or did something change in the algorithm again that is causing this?

It’s been a while so I don’t remember all the details here, but would it be possible/simpler to include the topic title directly in the search index regardless of topic age instead of forcing the first post itself to always be included? Since you said it would be complex to force the first post itself to always be included I just wanted to throw out an alternate idea in case it was useful.

2 Likes

wooops Sean, I converted it to a PM but removed you from the list :man_facepalming:

Check your PMs long discussion there.

2 Likes