Searching for the topic/post by ID?

It’s probably the quotations. They contain the topic ID in the [quote] tag and Postgres will likely remove the punctuation and treat the number as a searchable word.

4 Likes

Good catch! :smile: I bet you are right.

I think this is the best idea so far. I would consider that in the future other search operators for power users might be introduced like:

Not trying to over design right now, but its something to keep in mind.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I could also see a plugin that would automatically create links if you put #1234 into a post body, or something like that, which is pretty common in bug trackers.

1 Like

That leads us to the simple idea: to make discourse show the topic and post IDs in non-intrusive or less noisy way that is also search-friendly? maybe in the share box dialogue, which will be optional to have from the admin menu?

or I’m totally for this:

could it possible also work for t:2075/12?

1 Like

Share box already shows the post id, click or tap the post share button or post date at the upper right of each post.

Topic id is visible in the browser address bar and technically the share button for the topic at the bottom of the topic.

not for me:

it’s visible only from touch device (iPhone/iPad).

I am on desktop right now and it shows identically. There is no special touch handling for share button (also mapped to timestamp at upper right of each post).

Are you not looking to the right enough, or saying you can’t get to that part of the URL?

yes, topic/post ID is easily obtainable if one needs that. The only thing is to make topic and post ID search friendly via specially designed keyword - t:2075 as you have suggested.

I’ve tried both from share and timestamp (desktop) and shows only part of the url without ID, while touching the timestamp on my iPhone/mobile safari shows the part of the url with topic/post ID in it. Link shown in share box is fixed, I can’t move cursor further. But that’s ok since ids are shown in url and user with enough brains can figure it out. I’m just talking about the id search feature.

It doesn’t appear that this ever got implemented. We’re looking for something similar because we frequently reference topics in print material during committee meetings.

This statement feel more readable:

Please search for topic #19084 on the forum

than this one:

Please enter https://meta.discourse.org/t/19084/ in your web browser’s URL bar

or this one:

Please search for Searching for the topic/post by ID and click on the first result

2 Likes

Hello, Can we enable this feature or can we create inbox search for ID topic by component and and after enter redirect link to that topic :slight_smile:

Was this special search (i.e. the t: convention) ever considered then?
It seems that it was not introduced in the end.
It would be an interesting feature, especially for those using the web app, where the address bar is “hidden”… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

how to search for a URL?

When I have installed the mobile friendly version of my (discourse based) website on my mobile. Then when I open the same app by clicking the app’s icon from my mobile’s desktop, I don’t get the URL bar (I’m not supposed to either).

In the above scene/case, how can I go to a particular topic whose link I have got on my mobile clipboard?
Shouldn’t I be able to to search and find the post when I search a complete post link?

I experience this problem, when I was able to search and find a post and copy it’s link while logged into as a normal user. But I wanted to edit the post, so I logged out and logged back in with my own Admin id and suddenly I found that it wasn’t easy to search for the post again, except that I had post’s link on the clipboard. (I know I can open any browser and paste the link there, but shouldn’t the search bar be able to find the topic from the topic id)?